Beef Wellington with Shortcrust Pastry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iain

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

I am attempting my first Beef Wellington for Christmas dinner this year and have found a recipe online which I will use as a general guideline, this recipe however uses puff pastry which I wish to substitute for shortcrust due to family preference. I am worrying that this might turn out a bit stodgy or affect the cooking of the beef fillet, could someone advise me on any amendments I need to account for or should I be OK following the recipe?

Many Thanks

Should be just fine with the shortcrust pastry. Both have the same ingredients, just different preparation methods.

I wouldn't try that ... puff pastry and short crusts are so different. It might make cooking the meat tricky or affect the duxelles.

Maybe google it to see how you need to adjust for it.

I've seen recipes that separate the duxelles and the pastry with crepes or very thin slices of ham so that the pastry cooks correctly and isn't soggy.

There are several recipes to be found using shortcrust pastry, so I believe PF is correct, though I've never tried it.

I last had it with shortcrust in the 60's, my BF's Mom made it. Puff Pastry was not found in the store at that time.

Back
Top Bottom