"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I sometimes substitue butter flavor Crisco in cookie recipes.

AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef
For baking we use unsalted butter or lard. Since our breads normally have enough salt in them, we use unsalted butter on them. I think a fresh good sweet butter tastes better (almost like sweet cream) on jam bread than salted butter.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
I keep butter on hand for cooking and "spreadable butter" on hand for bread or toast. I go through a lot of butter.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Flour Child
Okay, this is going to throw my culinary reputation out the window...as if it isn't already lol...but I swear this works well for me...perfect really. I don't use butter, nor margarine, nor lard for spreading nor for baking. I use Earth Balance in a tub...not the whipped, don't get whipped! It's 79% natural vegetable oils like olive oil and canola. It tastes exactly like real butter and baking results are the same as butter. I don't need these but it's Gluten-free, Lactose free, Vegan, free of Transfats, free of hydrogenated oil, and non-GMO (whatever that is). It's an excellent source of Omega-3.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Senior Cook

It is so much healthier than processed/manufactured non-food items all over the grocery stores. The more basic the ingredient, the better results and the healthier it is. Butter isn't bad for you unless you eat a whole stick.

I buy unsalted for cooking/baking and have some salted on hand for popcorn (oil popped in coconut oil).
People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
Jeni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
Senior Cook
I keep salted butter at room-temperature on the counter for spreading, and unsalted butter in the fridge for baking. I'm looking into getting a good quality lard for those times when you don't necessarily want the butter flavor, like for tamales/pies/cooking. So far, this stuff looks good, although it's pricey: Mangalitsa Pig Lard Anyone know of some other online sources?

As for margerine, I haven't used it for years, under the assumption that it's healthier to eat the natural stuff in moderation than to substitute - plus it tastes so much better to me.
Kur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef
I just ran accross this and thought of this thread:

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
Master Chef
Site Moderator
I have not bought margarine in years. If a baking recipe calls for butter I used unsalted butter. If it calls for shortening I use Butter flavor Crisco.
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #19
Head Chef
Since the OP was a nube to cooking I thought I might add: Don't use spreads in baking. They do not act at all like margarine or butter. You have to read the package to determine if they are a spread or a margarine. They all look the same. Hope this helps.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
i only buy unsalted butter. it is necessary for me to avoid as much salt as possible. so use for baking and spreading on toast, etc. keep one stick or the new 1/4 stick on counter for this. it may to some have no taste but i think it does and it is certainly better for you. after i use up my current supply of butter flavor crisco, i will not buy more. i don't use it up very quickly and don't think it keeps all that well. not rancid but doesn't smell good to me. in my cooking for 55 years i have never bought lard.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote

butter, lard