Can I freeze jarred salsa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
It's just jars from the grocery store - I made too much but I don't want it to go to waste if at all possible. Thanks for any advice.

It might be a bit more watery when thawed. Freezing will make the chunks a little mushy.

jennyema said:
I'm confused....

Is it commercially made jarred salsa? Or home made?

commercially made jen - sorry! I did add some fresh cilantro, spring onion, and limejuice though.

Okey dokey, I get it now. It's been opened. Duh.:-p

I freeze my homemade salsa all the time. It tastes fine, but does get a bit watery, like Andy says, because the cells burst. Drain it a bit after thawing if you want and/or add some more salsa or chopped peppers/tomatoes etc.

If you freeze it, it'd probably be better used as a sauce base for, lets say, a Mexican spice-rubbed Chicken recipe, or maybe a topping for some flautas. Cooked, of course!
I always find these questions so difficult; why would I want to freeze salsa if I can make some more in 10 minutes? But it's a culture thing, I guess, as well as the cost considerations: 1 large bowl of fresh salsa might cost me 75 cents to make, but a bought version would be $3- there's only ONE brand of bottled salsa here on supermarket shelves, because everyone makes it fresh.
My son came home with some buddies and a large case of beer last week - "hey, dad, got any salsa handy?". 10 minutes, he had some. Different country, different lifestyles, different philosophy, I suppose!

freezing salsa

I think i would experiment on that one. I think if it is smooth salsa it might freeze and unfreeze well.
If not, it might taste different, when unfrozen. Many fruits and vegetables do not retain their taste and texture, through freezing and thawing.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom