"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Canned Sausage???

Has anyone ever canned fried sausage? My mother talks about how her mother use to can sausage in its own grease. She states that it was the best sausage she has ever had. I have never canned but have a itch to try doing this. Any suggestions or input?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Canned Sausage..I have all of their albums....

I have never heard of it, but I know they bottle them in jars in olive oil. So, it can be done...

Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

My grandmother did not can it but, she did preserve it in lard. She fried the sausage patties and then put them in a crock with lard. each layer of lard was approx. 1/2 inch deep and the patties did not touch each other these crocks were kept in a cold storage area. This was done in the late fall and the combination of the lard keeping the air out and the cold seemed to preserve them without any problems.
If you google canned sausage you will see many listings to can it in wide mouth jars.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Head Chef

USDA recipe for canning ground meat or sausage can be found here:

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Meats

Use broth, water or tomato juice NOT lard or sausage grease.

Please follow the directions and use a pressure cooker--doing it any other way could be dangerous.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Exclamation canning/preserving sausage in own grease

Used to be done in the old days, either in jars or crocks. Fry out the sausage and use the grease to cover the meat in jar or crock. Store in cool place away from the dogs.
Dad tried this a few years ago, guess he was bored with retirement. The neatly jarred sausage was boxed and placed in a cool place in the "back room". Crap, that stuff began to stink up the whole house! Mom banned him from the kitchen and put him on alert if he tried that again him and the sausage would be in the dog house.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

My Grand Folks talked about doing this when they had their Farm.

But.......I think why people regard this as having been so good was more because of the farm raised pork that they had to work with. There is a big difference in farm raised and the feed lot meat products you get in the grocery stores.

Farmers wives always had the reputation of being such good cooks. And to give them credit they were accomplished. But if they were buying beef, pork, chicken etc from the Super Chain Grocery Store their cooking wouldn't have tasted near as good.

For anyone who hasn't tasted Farm Raised, you owe it to yourself to do so.

The difference can be like day and night.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Jsaan
My Grand Folks talked about doing this when they had their Farm.

But.......I think why people regard this as having been so good was more because of the farm raised pork that they had to work with. There is a big difference in farm raised and the feed lot meat products you get in the grocery stores.

Farmers wives always had the reputation of being such good cooks. And to give them credit they were accomplished. But if they were buying beef, pork, chicken etc from the Super Chain Grocery Store their cooking wouldn't have tasted near as good.

For anyone who hasn't tasted Farm Raised, you owe it to yourself to do so.

The difference can be like day and night.
Dee, I would agree! Great point!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Canned Sasuage

I grew up on a Farm in East Tennessee, raised by Grandparents. Every Thanksgiving day was not a Holiday for us other than it was Hog Killing day. The day after was devoted to grinding and getting the sasuage taken care of. This is the following Reciept used for canned sasuage.

Sterilize Quart wide mouth jars, lids and rings (boil 10 min.)
Hand form fresh seasoned ground sasuage into balls about the size of good a sized egg.
Pan fry these sasuage balls untill done.
Keep frying sasuage balls and fill a jar with hot sasuage balls (Pack it in)and pour hot grease from frying the sasuage into the jar.
Place lid and ring on Jar and tighten tight.
Place the hot jar of sasuage on towel covered countertop upside down and leave.
The jars should seal as it cools and the grease will conjeal creating another seal. Place any jars that fail to seal in fridge and use or place in a canner and reheat and retry sealing process upside down.
This sasuage is cooked and will keep about a year. Scrape off a little of the grease when opened. Place in a pan and reheat, fry eggs in grease, then put some flour in grease and brown it, making a rue, add milk and stir constantly untill thick. Pour this over homade biscuts and loosen your belt.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbear
I grew up on a Farm in East Tennessee, raised by Grandparents. Every Thanksgiving day was not a Holiday for us other than it was Hog Killing day. The day after was devoted to grinding and getting the sasuage taken care of. This is the following Reciept used for canned sasuage.

Sterilize Quart wide mouth jars, lids and rings (boil 10 min.)
Hand form fresh seasoned ground sasuage into balls about the size of good a sized egg.
Pan fry these sasuage balls untill done.
Keep frying sasuage balls and fill a jar with hot sasuage balls (Pack it in)and pour hot grease from frying the sasuage into the jar.
Place lid and ring on Jar and tighten tight.
Place the hot jar of sasuage on towel covered countertop upside down and leave.
The jars should seal as it cools and the grease will conjeal creating another seal. Place any jars that fail to seal in fridge and use or place in a canner and reheat and retry sealing process upside down.
This sasuage is cooked and will keep about a year. Scrape off a little of the grease when opened. Place in a pan and reheat, fry eggs in grease, then put some flour in grease and brown it, making a rue, add milk and stir constantly untill thick. Pour this over homade biscuts and loosen your belt.
Hi, Badbear, welcome to DC! You have some good ideas.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Badbear,
That sounds just like what the OP was asking for. I knew we had those jars at Grandpa and Grandma's house, but I didn't know how they got to the pantry. Thanks.

Tags
sausage