Cast Iron Grill Pan = Ruined?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoOKFRo

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone :)

I was just wondering, does this cast iron grill pan look rusted? Or does it look like left over residue I can get out? I've made the mistake of putting in salt to clean when it was too hot and the salt turned black and I think stuck to the pan a little. I also burnt my chicken a little the other night and some burnt residue seem to be left behind. When I boil water in the pan however, I can't get this out:

2rw6gsj.jpg

Does that look rusted to you or is it just the normal wear and tear from using it? (I've only used it about 3 times so far, initially seasoned it with flax seed oil and has worked great). Anything I can do to get that out?

Not even close to being ruined.

Those dull black areas are not rust, they are burned on food residue. Boil water in it then scrub it with a non-stick safe scrubber sponge. You can use a toothbrush to get into the grooves.

Not even close to being ruined.

Those dull black areas are not rust, they are burned on food residue. Boil water in it then scrub it with a non-stick safe scrubber sponge. You can use a toothbrush to get into the grooves.

Thanks will try that out.

I think the only way a cast iron pan is ruined is if it cracks. I had it happen once, but I don't know how it happened and I've never heard of anyone else having a cracked cast iron skillet. It must have been defective.

I think the only way a cast iron pan is ruined is if it cracks. I had it happen once, but I don't know how it happened and I've never heard of anyone else having a cracked cast iron skillet. It must have been defective.

Cast iron is relatively brittle, and with all the thermal stresses from heat up and cool down, a microscopic defect would be enough to fracture one.

I would sand it all down, or put a wire brush attachment on a drill and clean it all up and then reseason it and it will be great. I have done this many a times with my garage sale finds.

Back
Top Bottom