"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cast Iron Grill Pan = Ruined?

Hi everyone :)

I was just wondering, does this cast iron grill pan look rusted? Or does it look like left over residue I can get out? I've made the mistake of putting in salt to clean when it was too hot and the salt turned black and I think stuck to the pan a little. I also burnt my chicken a little the other night and some burnt residue seem to be left behind. When I boil water in the pan however, I can't get this out:

Does that look rusted to you or is it just the normal wear and tear from using it? (I've only used it about 3 times so far, initially seasoned it with flax seed oil and has worked great). Anything I can do to get that out?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Not even close to being ruined.

Those dull black areas are not rust, they are burned on food residue. Boil water in it then scrub it with a non-stick safe scrubber sponge. You can use a toothbrush to get into the grooves.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not even close to being ruined.

Those dull black areas are not rust, they are burned on food residue. Boil water in it then scrub it with a non-stick safe scrubber sponge. You can use a toothbrush to get into the grooves.
Thanks will try that out.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Master Chef

I think the only way a cast iron pan is ruined is if it cracks. I had it happen once, but I don't know how it happened and I've never heard of anyone else having a cracked cast iron skillet. It must have been defective.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think the only way a cast iron pan is ruined is if it cracks. I had it happen once, but I don't know how it happened and I've never heard of anyone else having a cracked cast iron skillet. It must have been defective.
Cast iron is relatively brittle, and with all the thermal stresses from heat up and cool down, a microscopic defect would be enough to fracture one.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Head Chef

I would sand it all down, or put a wire brush attachment on a drill and clean it all up and then reseason it and it will be great. I have done this many a times with my garage sale finds.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Any one know how long to deep fry leg of lamb

Tags
cast iron, grill