Chicken soup vs Chicken stock: Simple question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I have a mock Peking duck that is pretty tasty!

Made the real thing once. 'Twas a lot of work. Served it according to traditions, in courses. Don't remember them all now. Searched the internet for info at the time. It was very good, but a pain to prepare. We're talking 2 days to make properly. I even used a fan to help dry the honey "paint" more quickly between applications. All I can say is - whoa!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Made the real thing once. 'Twas a lot of work. Served it according to traditions, in courses. Don't remember them all now. Searched the internet for info at the time. It was very good, but a pain to prepare. We're talking 2 days to make properly. I even used a fan to help dry the honey "paint" more quickly between applications. All I can say is - whoa!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My mock recipe took two days too. It used a maple syrup mix that was "painted." I made pancakes, and served it with scallion brushes for the plum sauce. It was really good.

My mock recipe took two days too. It used a maple syrup mix that was "painted." I made pancakes, and served it with scallion brushes for the plum sauce. It was really good.

I thought it would be more time consuming trying to keep the lid on the pot.:mellow:

How do you guys remove the fat from the top of the jelly that forms when you put the stock in the fridge? It's not impossible, but any "tricks" to make it easier would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How do you guys remove the fat from the top of the jelly that forms when you put the stock in the fridge? It's not impossible, but any "tricks" to make it easier would be appreciated.

Use a fat separator - about the size of a clear 2 cup measuring cup with a spout that feeds off of the bottom and has a filter-like lid (costs about $3.00)

While warm, the stock is poured into the cup through the lid and filters the larger particulates as it passes through the lid, and when left to set for a few minutes, the fat rises to the top. You then pour off the stock, which draws from the bottom. Simply stop pouring before the floating fat layer reaches the entrance to the spout, and then pour it off to discard.

Last edited:

It's easier to remove a thicker layer of fat. If it's just a light skim coat of fat, I leave it in. For thicker layers of fat, I skim it off in pieces with a flat metal spatula or spoon.

If it's just a very thin layer, reheat the stock and lay a clean paper towel on the surface then lift it out and toss it. Since the fat is on the surface, the paper towel soaks that up first. You may need more than one sheet to get the job done.

Last edited:

Once it has had ample time to congeal I am able to peel it off. For chicken it is really soft so a large flattish spoon does the trick for me.

Beef stock the fat comes out very hard and comes right off.

Once it has had ample time to congeal I am able to peel it off. For chicken it is really soft so a large flattish spoon does the trick for me.

Beef stock the fat comes out very hard and comes right off.

That explains my confusion. I remember the hard stuff, but hadn't twigged that it's hard when it's beef. Right now I'm dealing with chicken stock. The flattish spoon is what I have been doing. I like to save the fat for roux.

I thought about saving this fat, but it was a lot off this batch and well, it was just chicken fat. I do have some tallow in the fridge and some *swoon* duck fat.

I have one container or chicken fat and one of bacon fat in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom