Cooking a 15-lb turkey in foil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So do you have a question, or were you presenting this method for discussion, or what? Not sure of the purpose of this thread.

I really need advice because I'm afraid to cook this turkey. My other half is in Japan and I'm here all by myself and would like to have some turkey sandwiches. I'm going to the store and get a pan and I'll see if they have a thermometer but I'm never use one. I really want this turkey cook done because I know if I over cook it I'll be ok and I'm ok with that but I am so afraid of undercooking it.

Using a thermometer tells you two things. It tells you when it's done, safe to eat, and it stops you from overcooking it "just to be safe". Overcooking is why turkeys are dry.

Turkey is safe to eat as soon as it reaches an internal temperature of 161ºF. Beyond that you start drying out the meat and there's no going back. Wrapping it in foil WILL NOT keep it from drying out.

I went to the store and bought a pan and a turkey bag which I never used before and the bag say 350 degrees. So I'll try it and cook it for 4 hours. I was told that the turkeys come with a thermometer installed? I bought a butterball so I don't know? I'm sure I wouldn't put the thermometer in the right place because I never did that before.

Last edited:
If your goal is to overcook it you'll likely succeed on doing that.

If you want meat that is safe to eat and not dry and stringy go back and get a meat thermometer. They are super easy to use.

I'm so glad you bought a turkey bag and will be using it instead of foil.....you will be pleasantly surprised with your turkey. Just follow the directions on the bags and you can't go wrong.

Some turkeys come with a little plastic pop-up thermometer. When that pops up the turkey is done. 350ºF is ok for cooking it. Don't go by time. When the pop-up pops up. it's done. Take it out and let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting into it.

If your goal is to overcook it you'll likely succeed on doing that.

If you want meat that is safe to eat and not dry and stringy go back and get a meat thermometer. They are super easy to use.

Tomorrow I will find out (That is when it will of been in the refreg for 72 hours) if the butterball turkey comes with a pop up thermometer or not but at 350 for 4 hours. Is there a chance that would undercook it? I have a modern over but I haven't used an oven in over 5 years. Thank god it's electric. I just want some turkey on bread with cranberry sauce and I'm really easy to please. I just worry because I have a sensitive stomach.

You keep asking the same question even though we give you answers. You seem intent on cooking it for 4 hours instead of taking advantage of the advice you've been given by a host of experienced cooks.

I hope you enjoy your turkey.

Just follow the directions on your turkey bag. You won't get sick. You are going to be able to enjoy that sandwich. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. :angel:

Someone that is so nervous about uncooked turkey is the prime candidate for a meat thermometer.

Otherwise you can cook it into inedible oblivion, just to make sure.

The only way to ensure a moist -- yet safe -- turkey is to use a meat thermometer.

My turkey was in the refreg for 72 hours and this morning it is half frozen. So all the serches tell me to put it in the oven for 5 hours at 325 degress. So I pour some oil over the turkey and took my hands and made sure oil was all over the turkey put it in a oven bad with a tablespoon of flour and set my oven at 325 for 5 hours. With all that said will my turkey be done if I don't find any pink in it?

Of course. No pink, no problem. Use the thermometer you bought. And if the little pop up has popped up, it is done. You worry too much. :angel:

Of course. No pink, no problem. Use the thermometer you bought. And if the little pop up has popped up, it is done. You worry too much. :angel:

After 25 minutes in the oven at 325 I remember that I forgot to take out the neck and gizzard, so I put the turkey back into the sink and ran warm water over it until I could get them out and since my turkey was only a little frozen when I put it back into the bag it no longer felt frozen. As far as putting a thermometer in the turkey, if I did, it would be in the wrong place at the wrong depth and I never use one before and never had a problem because I have only cook for myself or just me and another person. Also cooking times are so different. One say this and one say that and the one with the bag say 2.5 hours at 350 so I'm going to do 3 hours at 350 just in case there was some of the turkey that was frozen I couldn't feel. Thanks

Hmm...I usually take the neck and bag of stuff out before I cook my turkey. The one that is in the oven right now has one of those pop-up thermometers in it. Supposedly, it will be done in just under 4 hours--I hope not--I planned 21 minutes/lb and it is a 20 lb turkey. It should not be done in just under 4 hours. Turkeys were 77 cents/lb yesterday, so I picked up 4 more...I like turkey.

I'm like you I don't care what those thermometers say I'm going to cook my turkey until it is done. I would rather have an over cook turkey than a trip to the ER. Stick to 21 minutes/lb.but at what temp.? I might not have cook a turkey in over 5 years but I have cook about a dozen of them in my life and we use to cook them at 15 minutes/lbs. at 350, but with this oven bag they say cook a turkey 12-16 lbs. two to two and a half hours which is about 10 minutes/lb. so something isn't right here?

Last edited:
I have visions of the turkey in the National Lampoon Christmas Vacation movie. :)

You have complicated things somewhat by just now telling us that the turkey is still partially frozen.

For an unfrozen turkey 21 minutes per pound is way too long to cook it. The exterior meat will get hard and the rest will be dry.

For a partially frozen bird it's impossible to gauge min/pound. They only way to tell that it's done is with that dreaded meat thermometer.

Also, there is no reason to ever actually put undercooked turkey in your mouth. If its still pink, don't eat it. Put it back in the oven.

After washing the turkey and taking out the neck and gizzard the turkey no longer felt frozen. Is it true that an oven bag will shorten the time for cooking? Because with the bag my time in 12 minutes per lbs. even if it say in so many words 10 milnutes per lbs. Otherwise I cook at 15 minutes per lbs.

Follow the directions as stated on your cooking bags....I understand that men generally don't like to follow directions, but they were written by professionals who were paid to write them correctly. It does take less time to cook a turkey in them and even if you cook it longer than they recommend, your turkey will not dry out because of the bag.

...I don't care what those thermometers say I'm going to cook my turkey until it is done. I would rather have an over cook turkey than a trip to the ER...

Overcooked and unsafe aren't the only options.

This thread is up to 40 posts and you're still saying you're going to do what you want. Why did you come here?

Back
Top Bottom