"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking Basics

I have been asked to do a cooking demo for my daughters cadette troop. they want me to cover some "basics". These girls are between 12 and 15. What would you consider some kitchen and cooking things that everyone should know in the kitchen?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Knife skills lead to all else - how to peel, trim, slice, chop, dice, mince and zest herbs, fruits, veggies and meats (not that you do all of those to everything! ).

How to set up mise en place - iow, get out everything you will need, prep it, and have it ready by the stove, counter, wherever. This makes cooking go more smoothly and helps you make sure you have all the ingredients and the tools to do what you want to do.

How to plan a meal so that everything is done about the same time - longest cooking item first, etc. It's amazing how many beginning cooks don't think this through

I'm sure other people will chime in with more ideas, especially our members who conduct cooking classes

Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I know I am going to do knife safety and skills - safe handeling, using cutting boards - avoiding cross contamination etc.
I like the prep idea too. It is amazing how much we do when we cook and don't even think about it.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I would say what different pots and pans are used for. Skillets, saute pans, sauce pans, baking pans. You could have them try flipping food in a skillet using a cold pan and M&M's, then they could eat the candy!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Great ideas thanx! Keep them coming!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

teach them how to read cooking and baking recipes because baking and cooking are two very different kitchen skills. And there are terms in cooking which are confusing and most cookbooks aren't as detailed as many beginning cooks would like. Teach them how to measure because measuring accurately is probably the most important cooking skill in the kitchen and a recipe must perform well even though the ingredient amounts are changed. Teach them about food safety, using a microwave oven, meal planning, equivalent and substitution, grilling, prepare fruits and vegetables, kitchen cleaning tips, and teach them the basic kitchen equipments/tools that a kitchen should have.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

teach about measuring and how important it is to baking , how to increase and decrease measuring in other things, smaller or larger for recipes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

with all these great ideas, basic technique: pan fry/saute, simmer/boil, bake, roast, broil.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

I can only add one idea that I think is essential for the new cook to add to what the others have already stated. Teach them how to choose quality tools, like cast iron, stainless steel, good stirring spoons, wire whisks, silicone spatulas, etc, and how to properly use and care for them. Teach them that one very good knife can be used for 95% of their cutting, slicing, chopping, and detailing needs, so one durable, high-quality knife is worth a dozen cheap, specialty knives, and will last a lifetime. And remember, for high quality pots and pans, you don't have to break the bank.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I can only add one idea that I think is essential for the new cook to add to what the others have already stated. Teach them how to choose quality tools, like cast iron, stainless steel, good stirring spoons, wire whisks, silicone spatulas, etc, and how to properly use and care for them. Teach them that one very good knife can be used for 95% of their cutting, slicing, chopping, and detailing needs, so one durable, high-quality knife is worth a dozen cheap, specialty knives, and will last a lifetime. And remember, for high quality pots and pans, you don't have to break the bank.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Yeah i would have to agree with that.