"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I think companies like Blue Apron have the right idea. They give you the recipe and the raw ingredients and you cook the meal your own self.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL P View Post
I mean, when you get in a regular taxi do they guarantee you that you'll arrive safely? VS using uber.... There's a lot of barriers but I believe that decentralization gives you access to a wider spectrum. Yes there's laws and such but shouldn't we able to make our own decisions.. You have the power to choose whether you go to your regular establishment or have the option to get it from someone privately
Sure, it's easy to say we should be able to choose and make our own decisions. Till someone gets sick or dies, and then you want to know why that kitchen wasn't inspected or that food wasn't fresh enough.

Check out a book called "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. There's are good reasons for laws and regulations regarding food preparation and delivery.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Yeah you're right! We are just building the platforms as a recreational place for people who loves cooking for others, aspiring chefs mostly! We'll have a rating system. I'm not saying that fixes everything but at least gives you some perspective! I'm just trying to help those that always dreamt about having a restaurant or opening up their own business just like myself. Honestly the investment to do such a thing is pretty high and the food industry is pretty competitive.. most of the restaurants, mostly the newly ones go out of business not because of the quality nor service but because they have to test the market in their own town first and see what sells and what not. We are making it easier for those people to test the market with no hefty upfront cost and to see if people really like what they make so, later on they can make a wise decision to open up the restaurant and take a risk***!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Yes,
I should be able to choose where I want to eat and I have that option. I mean if I want to pay the darling Mexican woman next door to make me tortillas that is my choice but she isn't making them to sell to the general public. There is a big difference.

PS: For corn tortillas, she and every other neighbor recommended the nearest grocery store.

Also, what if a person offers a gluten free tortllas but has recently made regular flour tortillas on that same surface. Can you as the owner of the site guarantee there will be no cross contamination? Are you going to pay that person's medical bills if they have an allergic reaction?
Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

You're totally right! the only difference is that each person that offers their dishes on the platform will have a limited quantity to offer each day. they're not feeding the masses!!!

They'll have to specify what's their process once they signed up.

We are not liable for any incidents that might happen! This is at your own risk. You should know better! this is a recreational platform
Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Guys I love your feedback keep them coming!!! This is really important for us and I take it as constructive criticism !!!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
We are not liable for any incidents that might happen! This is at your own risk. You should know better! this is a recreational platform

Don't be so sure of that.

You face liability as do the people who are cooking the food.

Believe me, if something goes seriously wrong you'll get sued.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
You're totally right! the only difference is that each person that offers their dishes on the platform will have a limited quantity to offer each day. they're not feeding the masses!!!

They'll have to specify what's their process once they signed up.

You might want to triple check this one.
Ok yes, if you had people under you selling widgets you would not be liable.
When it comes to public health issues, the laws are much stricter.
No, it is not at my own risk as people expect certain standards to be upheld when it comes to food.
Oh and you better hope Atlanta never gets called.
A bad potluck is one thing, a bad paid for experience is another.
I also recommend reading "The Jungle".

Have you even called your local health department?

If you wanted to exchange food it would be one thing but you are involving cash.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Cinisajoy--- Yes i've tripled checked and got some legal advice. We've been under development for almost 8 months and we are about to release soon!!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

As soon as money changes hands, it's no longer recreational - it's commerce. And when you're publicly advertising this commercial opportunity via an app? Even more so.

Tags
cook, cooking