"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL P View Post
Cinisajoy--- Yes i've tripled checked and got some legal advice. We've been under development for almost 8 months and we are about to release soon!!
I think I understand you now.
You are developing the app. So your legal experts have told you that because you are just doing the software you will not be liable for people that use this app.

Ok, how are you going to find chefs? How will you make sure they are legitimate?
To me, you are putting this together. Therefore all responsibility can potentially fall back on you.
I would be very careful with my wording and even then no guarantees on the potential law suits.

By the way, I don't know many professional chefs that would want to spend their very few off hours cooking for others.

Now this is the burning question. How will you get paid?

Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #22
Master Chef

cinisajoy, I think the premise of Daniel's project is to have home cooks like us DCers here sell food to strangers via his app, not "fine chefs". Although I have no doubt that any one of us could choose to be a "fine chef" and has just not been discovered yet.

Over the last couple of years I've thought this "cooking for others" might be a great thing. I would love to share a meal's worth of food (or even just an entree) with someone. BUT my idea actually was to see if our church would be interested in families in need being supported by cooks who have a little something extra in their pantry that they would like to share. Simple as that.

Quote:
I think that we should have the option to choose whatever we want to eat! I mean, it's optional you know. I think we could eat better if we get our food from someone that is already cooking for themselves. not to mention is fresher.......................I just went ahead and did it anyways! we are building the platform already and ready to release soon!
Sure, we should have options. But "options" and "legal" don't always go hand-in-hand. As others have pointed out, your platform could very well be sitting on legal quicksand.

Quote:
Btw if we keep getting our food from fast food establishment, do we really know what's going on behind the kitchen?...
I'm not sure this idea would be widely appealing to the Fast Food set. While I enjoy a rare foray into a fast-food place, I personally feel the mind-set of someone who regularly uses those establishments as a main source of their nutrition just might be reluctant to buy food that is unfamiliar to them. "Unfamiliar" as in "home-cooked".

Old 11-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Cooking community in your town as a platform to share

As the app developer you may not be liable but if you certify or otherwise endorse the cooks you are going beyond app development to a link in the food supply chain. Then you are liable.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #24
Senior Cook

CG, I love your idea.
I also agree if someone is used to fast food, they generally don't want dolmades or beef stroganoff or rouladen or good mexican food or a good chicken fried steak or Coq a vin.
Two different mind sets.
I like you rarely do fast food. I know people that live on fast food and they scoff at a real meal.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Thank you guys! Yes we are developing the entire platform. Just needed to get some feedback from a chef community, whether people is reluctant to be connected with someone to cook for them, that's up to them!!! I'd like to invite you guys to check out our website, watch our video and sign up for those who are interested.

HitMeUpp

And check out our fb page at https://www.facebook.com/hitmeupp

You can post concerns and your feedbacks on this page and I'd be gals to answer your questions.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #26
Senior Cook

All I got was a dark screen and a video.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Washing your hands without soap doesn't clean your hands sufficiently to prepare food, and as soon as you rinsed off the raw chicken, you contaminated your entire sink. And that's just two things that jumped up and smacked me in the face. Someone needs to take a ServSafe Food Handler class!
Old 11-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

This is just a raw version of what's behind the process, we didn't show the whole thing in the way i used soap, or cleaned the sink after I rinsed off the chicken breast. If I was to post that it'll take up to 1 hour of the process before i started cooking... Btw I'm not here to give you false advertisement of what goes behind. This is the way most people COOK at their own kitchen for their family!!!! This is a meal sharing platform not a fast food establishment. This is the way average people usually do to cook for themselves. Now I encourage you to look at what food establishment do in the kitchen and i promise you the count of wrong things they're doing is limitless....

We are making a few changes on the website, if you get a dark screen at the beginning you should be able to play a video before you click on the website!!

Let me know
Old 11-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #29
Master Chef

In addition to the obvious food safety issues shown, the person in the video does not impress me with his cooking skills.

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a meal from a perfect stranger.

(1) You have no idea if they actually can cook. Video sort of makes that point.
(2) You have no idea if they understand food safety or properly sourcing quality ingredients.
(3) You have no idea if they are trustworthy.
(4) You have no idea if they carry commercial liability insurance if they sicken or injure you.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
This is the way most people COOK at their own kitchen for their family!!!!

Don't tell me that is how the average person cooks at home. I cook for a living, I cook for my family, and I cook for myself, and I have to tell you that I have the cleanest hands in the entire county! If I use the bathroom, I wash my hands, if I scratch my head, I wash my hands. If I scratch my nose, I wash my hands. If I blow my nose, I wash my hands. If I cut my finger, I make sure the bleeding has stopped, I put a band-aid on it, then I wash my hands!

If I feed the cat, I wash my hands, if I pet the cat I wash my hands. If I clean the litter box, I wash my hands, twice!

If I handle raw meat, I wash my hands, and I would never, ever, wash raw meat, especially poultry, in my kitchen sink! In fact, I don't wash it at all. It's already been washed at the packing plant. I remove it from the packaging, pat it dry with paper towels, then prepare it for cooking.

Like I said, take a ServSafe Food Handler class! BTW, your knives are in desperate need of sharpening!

Tags
cook, cooking