"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

Tatt, that video you posted is exactly they way I have done Prime Rib for years. It's perfect every single time. My family and I have always called it "No Peeky Roast Beefy". I've even gone so far as to duct tape the oven door closed so guests are warned it's DEATH to anyone who peeks!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been using a method similar to the one in the video for years with consistently great success.

Instead of 5 minutes per pound @ 500 F, I do 13 minutes per rib @ 500 F and leave it in the oven for 90 to 180 minutes. Once the roast reaches the calculated degree of doneness at 90 minutes, the remaining time in a continually cooling oven just keeps the roast warm without cooking it further.

The one problem with this method is that the oven is not available for cooking other dishes.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
The one problem with this method is that the oven is not available for cooking other dishes.
That's true Andy but I always serve twice baked potatoes. As long as they are room temp when they go into the now empty preheated hot oven, they are serving temp. by the time the roast is carved and the rest of the table is set. The rolls go in the last minute, and time to eat. Dang....now I want this dinner bad. Think tomorrow would be a good day.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's true Andy but I always serve twice baked potatoes. As long as they are room temp when they go into the now empty preheated hot oven, they are serving temp....

Kayelle, by the time you take the roast out, the oven isn't very hot anymore and would have to be re-heated to do potatoes and rolls.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Kayelle, by the time you take the roast out, the oven isn't very hot anymore and would have to be re-heated to do potatoes and rolls.
So true Andy, but it still only takes about 10 min. for my oven to get back up to temp for the room temp. twice baked potatoes and rolls. Just enough time to pour and drink yet another glass of vino, and make the boiling hot aus jus for the meat.
Always enough time in this house for another glass of wine.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I wished my wife and daughter liked prime rib. They prefer rib steak on the grill when we eat that cut of meat. I buy the roasts and cut them up into very thick steaks.

Tags
cooking