"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Creating variety: How do you spice up your oatmeal?

I have been experimenting with oatmeal recently. I love oatmeal, it has been a breakfast item every morning in my home for the past decade.

This morning I decided to try adding raisins and honey, which turned out to be a great idea. Yesterday I added apple chunks and cinnamon, which was also delicious.

Now I would like more ideas. What do you add to your oatmeal to spice it up?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Maple syrup or sliced poached strawberries, or blueberries or peaches with a teensy weeny bit of sugar or caramel sauce when I'm feeling rebellious!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Maple syrup or sliced poached strawberries, or blueberries or peaches with a teensy weeny bit of sugar or caramel sauce when I'm feeling rebellious!
Hey, the sliced fruit sounds like a great addition! Thank you for the idea :)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Any fruit preserves. If it's good on toast, it's great in oatmeal. Try Nutella. Or a handful of blueberries. I keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer just for oatmeal.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Any fruit preserves. If it's good on toast, it's great in oatmeal. Try Nutella. Or a handful of blueberries. I keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer just for oatmeal.
Yeah, I need to go shopping today.. I'll be buying fruit. I've never tasted Nutella, I'll have to try that as well. Thank you :)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Head Chef

I like organic dessicated coconut and raisins (cooking the raisins towards the end, to plump them up without them disintegrating, but adding the coconut once made) or sunflower seeds adds good crunch. I haven't tried it but adding some coconut milk to it too might be great.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Master Chef

I love adding "stuff" to oatmeal too, ardchoille. Here are some of my favorites:

1) dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon
2) dried cherries, toasted almond slices, unsweetened coconut. (sometimes I go all-out and put a dark chocolate chip or two on a few of the spoonfuls )
3) blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), toasted pecans, cinnamon
4) dried apricots
5) a wee-bit of dark brown sugar

I add any of the dried fruits when there is still a minute or two left, so that they can plump. I don't add the toasted nuts until I take the pan off the heat. I do toast the nuts in the same pot before I cook the oatmeal.

Another trick I learned: it's OK to use more water than the box tells you to. I always made myself a serving with the 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup water method. I now use 10 oz of water, a scant 1/2 cup oatmeal, and cook it just a bit longer - roughly 1 minute per oz of water. You get more bulk with fewer calories.

I haven't tried making a savory oatmeal yet. I figure it can be done, since I often add oatmeal to meatloaf.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I like organic dessicated coconut and raisins (cooking the raisins towards the end, to plump them up without them disintegrating, but adding the coconut once made) or sunflower seeds adds good crunch. I haven't tried it but adding some coconut milk to it too might be great.
What I did this morning was to boil the water, then add the oatmeal and raisins together and cook for a minute longer. I always add either almond milk or non-GMO soymilk to my oatmeal. Yes, coconut milk is a definite possibility, I may try that tomorrow morning.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I love adding "stuff" to oatmeal too, ardchoille. Here are some of my favorites:

1) dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon
2) dried cherries, toasted almond slices, unsweetened coconut. (sometimes I go all-out and put a dark chocolate chip or two on a few of the spoonfuls )
3) blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), toasted pecans, cinnamon
4) dried apricots
5) a wee-bit of dark brown sugar

I add any of the dried fruits when there is still a minute or two left, so that they can plump. I don't add the toasted nuts until I take the pan off the heat. I do toast the nuts in the same pot before I cook the oatmeal.

Another trick I learned: it's OK to use more water than the box tells you to. I always made myself a serving with the 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup water method. I now use 10 oz of water, a scant 1/2 cup oatmeal, and cook it just a bit longer - roughly 1 minute per oz of water. You get more bulk with fewer calories.

I haven't tried making a savory oatmeal yet. I figure it can be done, since I often add oatmeal to meatloaf.
I have many of your additions on my to do list now, thank you! I've never thought of adding nuts to oatmeal, but it does make sense being that these are similar ingredients to what one might find in a granola mix. The brown sugar sounds great too, and I think adding a bit of cinnamon in with it would be delicious.

I've never read an oatmeal box, I just add a heaping 1/4 cup rolled oats to 1/2 cup boiling water and cook for a minute.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I use dried dates.

Tags
breakfast, oatmeal