"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I've been known to put eggs in potato salad.
Some of the best potato salads have egg in them. My mom's always had bits & slices of hard boiled egg in it.

I only wish I had gotten my mom's potato salad before she passed in 2008. It was my hubby's favorite and she always made it for him when we visited. I've come close, but not quite there.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I get so many ideas from you guys here! Makes me so glad that I joined.

Like many of you, I have food on my mind often. Always look forward to shopping for fresh produce and meats at Sprouts.

Mind you, I don't care much for regular shopping (and I'm descended from a long line of shopaholics) but love to go to Sprouts.

They just opened one down the street today and it is the closest grocery store to us!!! The other 3 are a tad bit down the street from that. The other close Sprouts was about 15 minutes away which is tolerable for good produce.

I probably have at least a month of ideas thanks to everyone here on DC.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I think I can identify with Puffin3's thinking. I bet it was how much Mayo to use. Or else he knows my (late) MIL. She put a Lot of eggs in her potato salad!

I think my regular day to day menus are pretty repetitious and my imagination often needs a jump start. It is indeed one of the reasons I like to come here-- for the inspiration, what to make, what to make that is different from what I usually do, what to serve alongside and when possible, how to transform whatever it was into a somewhat different leftover. My "to-try" /make someday list is growing pretty long as is my copied and pasted recipes folder.

Using a potato salad analogy, if someone says they are making Salad Nicoise, I may think, that is a beautiful salad except it makes so much or one can make a smaller salad, and have a lot of various containers in the frig. Aha, I can make potato salad with haricot verts with a provincial vinaigrette, and if I add some crumbled Roquefort, it is suddenly more French than the original. And no leftovers. Actually, this comes from an old Bon Appetit magazine, and I have not made in a long times. I Should do so, it was pretty good.

JR once announced he invented Mexican Lasagna ( layered and stacked tortillas.). The internet is riddled with stacked tortilla recipes, stacked enchiladas, etc. To his credit, this was before Google while sitting around the dining room table when he was at age 9 or 10. We make this as does he sometimes. I think he did think of this as his own idea.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #14
Master Chef

If I gained a pound for every "food" thought I had, I'd be in 500# of trouble right now.

DC does inspire me to cook outside my comfort zone sometimes. It has me trying things I've never heard about before. After a post of CWS's I thought I would try methi, the young greens from the fenugreek plant. No luck today at the Mediterranean market, but I'll keep looking.

I do find, though, that like you puffin3, reading a post gets me busy making something that it got me thinking about, even if it's a stretch from the original food. In the end, if it turns out right and you enjoy it, it's all good.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

'DC' Daily Inspirations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's official now..I don't like Indian food. I sampled lots of it today and although I was gracious and said it was nice, it wasn't.
At least now I know for sure.

Ha! And I thought I was the only one who didn't like curry!

I find DC to be inspirational, and enjoy tweaking recipes. And now I want me some potato salad with HB eggs.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ha! And I thought I was the only one who didn't like curry!

I find DC to be inspirational, and enjoy tweaking recipes. And now I want me some potato salad with HB eggs.
I'm with you Dawg, Can't stand the stuff.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #17
Head Chef

On my computer I have 2 specific files for food ( recipes) ( actually 3 )
1) Untried recipes
2) Tried and Liked recipes
3) Pictures of food/ presentations

If Im reading through the Forum and see something I want to try, I will copy it into Untried recipe folder. From that, I will then make it at some point. Sometimes that day. Sometimes after I do a shop so I have everything in the house.

After I make it, If it was worth making again, it gets moved to my tried and liked recipe. could be the recipe itself, or if it was from a website, it just may be a link to that site. Although, sometimes websites disappear, and if it is just a link, the recipe could be lost forever. So Im more likely to either make a hard copy, or a digital copy of the recipe.

The third file is strictly pictures of food preparations. Maybe something I liked visually, that would look good at a dinner party, or to impress the guests.

So the short simple answer is, yes, when I see something I like, I will often make it, but not necessarily that day.

larry

Oh, if i don't like it, it gets flushed.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I made potato salad last night with chopped hard boiled eggs. Delicious!
Recently I used Japanese mayo instead of the regular.
Now the JM is the only choice for me. The result was tastier and had a smoother texture.
Steamed skin-on Yukon Gold potatoes cubed after steaming then cooled
homemade grainy mustard
sugar
S&P
hard boiled eggs
green hamburger relish
Japanese mayo
chopped sweet 'Yum Yum' pickles
dried dill
Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelinde View Post
I get so many ideas from you guys here! Makes me so glad that I joined.

Like many of you, I have food on my mind often. Always look forward to shopping for fresh produce and meats at Sprouts.

Mind you, I don't care much for regular shopping (and I'm descended from a long line of shopaholics) but love to go to Sprouts.

They just opened one down the street today and it is the closest grocery store to us!!! The other 3 are a tad bit down the street from that. The other close Sprouts was about 15 minutes away which is tolerable for good produce.

I probably have at least a month of ideas thanks to everyone here on DC.
My closest grocery store of any kind is 20 miles away. The closest specialty grocery (Whole Foods) is 120 miles away. I make do.

I buy what looks good on the day I'm shopping for the pantry, then modify my menu as needed. Don't have many options. Although I'm in farm country, it's mostly wheat and cattle. We can get good beef, but not really any farm fresh produce even in season.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yay! I'm not alone! I don't like curry either!!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote