"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
Head Chef

Indian food isn't all curry and other countries have curries too ......

Old 03-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
Master Chef

So glad I'm not alone with the curry thing.
Now I know for sure I don't like "Indian curry" dishes but from the way I understand it, Asian curry isn't the same. As another example of learning lots here, I bought a recommended jar of "Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce" from Trader Joe's. In my interest of keeping an open mind, I'll be using it soon, and I don't need to buy a bunch of spices I may never use again. I'm not sure what is the spice in Indian Curry dishes that make me not like it but it's sure not for me!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
The Naan was delicious!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Yay! I'm not alone! I don't like curry either!!!
I not only do not like the taste, I can't stand the smell of it cooking.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So glad I'm not alone with the curry thing.
Now I know for sure I don't like "Indian curry" dishes but from the way I understand it, Asian curry isn't the same. As another example of learning lots here, I bought a recommended jar of "Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce" from Trader Joe's. In my interest of keeping an open mind, I'll be using it soon, and I don't need to buy a bunch of spices I may never use again.
Makes perfect sense.
Quote:
I'm not sure what is the spice in Indian Curry dishes that make me not like it but it's sure not for me!
We should try to find you an easy Indian curry with only spices you like and already have to see if that's the problem.

I can't stand commercial curry powder. The smell of stale fenugreek makes me nauseous.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #26
Head Chef

There are so many spices and dishes from different countries so I suppose it's working out which one doesn't work for you , but they don't all use the same spices depending on where the recipe is from . Cooking with fresh spices from scratch can make for a really light and fragrant dish too , but obviously it's not everyone's thing :-)
Old 03-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Yay! I'm not alone! I don't like curry either!!!
Well, I love it. So much so that several years ago I bought a book called "50 Curry Recipes" and every Monday night, for the better part of the year, my wife and I would enjoy a different recipe from the book. They were all different. It was an interesting experiment and, although every recipe wasn't a success, we enjoyed our "Curry Night" for the most part.

I find it odd that someone can say "I hate curry" after trying only one dish in one restaurant. It would be like saying "I hate Italian food" after having spaghetti once.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Just for an example (Thanks to Savory Spice Shop):

Cambodian Lemongrass Curry

Ingredients:
Mild green chile powder, lemongrass, shallots, salt, garlic, onion, Lampong peppercorns, galangal root, ginger, makrut lime leaves, red Thai chilies and citric acid

Madras Curry

Ingredients:
Coriander, cumin, black pepper, regular yellow mustard, turmeric, ginger and curry leaves

Red Thai Curry:

Ingredients:
Spanish paprika, lemon grass, salt, shallots, galangal, cumin, coriander, Chinese red pepper, red Thai chiles, Lampong peppercorns, cilantro, garlic, makrut lime leaves, California basil and spearmint

Southern Spanish Pinchito Spice

Ingredients:
Salt, cumin, Spanish paprika, Greek oregano, coriander, garlic, caraway, turmeric, ginger, fenugreek, anise, cayenne, Saigon cinnamon, black pepper, Turkish bay leaves, yellow mustard powder, mace, cardamom and saffron

To make a blanket statement that you don't like curry is probably because you haven't really tried everything that's out there. Savory Spice Shop has 30 different blends, so one can experiment for quite some time before concluding that there is nothing appealing about any of them.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well, I love it. So much so that several years ago I bought a book called "50 Curry Recipes" and every Monday night, for the better part of the year, my wife and I would enjoy a different recipe from the book. They were all different. It was an interesting experiment and, although every recipe wasn't a success, we enjoyed our "Curry Night" for the most part.

I find it odd that someone can say "I hate curry" after trying only one dish in one restaurant. It would be like saying "I hate Italian food" after having spaghetti once.
If you had read carefully you would see I never once said the word hate, and I tried several dishes in that restaurant yesterday, in addition to having tried several examples of Indian Curries in the UK. If you find that odd, I don't know what to say. Now if we're talking about brussel sprouts I'll use the word hate.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If I gained a pound for every "food" thought I had, I'd be in 500# of trouble right now.

DC does inspire me to cook outside my comfort zone sometimes. It has me trying things I've never heard about before. After a post of CWS's I thought I would try methi, the young greens from the fenugreek plant. No luck today at the Mediterranean market, but I'll keep looking.

I do find, though, that like you puffin3, reading a post gets me busy making something that it got me thinking about, even if it's a stretch from the original food. In the end, if it turns out right and you enjoy it, it's all good.
This! I'm continuously inspired by posts here. The daily meal thread is what I go to first, and I often find myself thinking 'I haven't had that in a while', or 'hmmm...that reminds me of (fill in the blank)....I should make that again...'

Speaking of curry....I don't have anything to add, as I'm pretty much a curry virgin. We have a new Indian restaurant here in my small town that I intend to try real soon, though.