Deep Frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubba75

Assistant Cook
I just got a deep fryer for Christmas. I have searched everywhere for the answer to my question and have found none. But I bet this forum can come up with a answer so here goes

If I fry shrimp tonight can I then do donuts in the same oil a day later:chef:

I've heard that frying a batch of french fries will help clean up the taste of the oil.

i wouldn't do it. why not make the donuts first and then the shrimp. that should work ok.

I strain the oil I use for chicken or fish (coffee filters are great for this) and store it in a jar in the fridge (labeled). I have another jar for oil strained after veggies, and yet another for a jar of oil used to fry baked goods. Lots of jars, but no cross-over re: flavors.

I think you should not fry donuts after shrimp. Usually fish and shrimp are the last to fry in the oil and then the oil should be discarded. I also know that you should not use the same oil more than twice. Using the same oil many times could be carcinogenic.
You should also keep in mind that before you put the fish, chicken or anything that needs frying, the temperature of the oil should be very hot so that the inner side of the meat becomes tender and the oil remains clear for a longer time.

I think you should not fry donuts after shrimp. Usually fish and shrimp are the last to fry in the oil and then the oil should be discarded. I also know that you should not use the same oil more than twice. Using the same oil many times could be carcinogenic.
You should also keep in mind that before you put the fish, chicken or anything that needs frying, the temperature of the oil should be very hot so that the inner side of the meat becomes tender and the oil remains clear for a longer time.

First of all make sure you are using cooking oil suitable for deep-frying - refined (not extra virging or virgin) olive oil, sunflower oil are just fine. Rice oil is also great for deep frying, especially if you want to add a bit of Asian flavor to your shrimps. There is a very good guied to frying oils here, I usually check the list everytime I am trying a new recipe. Healthy Cooking: Oils for frying and cooking

Fishy odor can be removed with a few slices of ginger or with a slice of bread. Heat the oil slightly and let the ginger (or bread) fry for about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps! :chef:

I made some jalepeno poppers, from scratch, grew them in the garden, fried them on the stove in oil.
I learned two things.
1. Jalepeno peppers can be VERY hot tasting, much more so than say another batch of normal jalepeno peppers bought from the store. The garden was great, under watered and it was a hot summer--they were hotter than anything I've ever grown before. Totally inedible (and I'm not wimpy on hot tastes).
2. Donuts fried in that oil will also be HOT tasting, and they will also be too hot-spicy to eat.

If frying bread or anything (like a donut) in that same oil had taken out the spicy hotness from the peppers, then the donuts in the second batch would not have been spicy--but they were.
I wouldn't use oil over from fish/seafood, unless I was making more fish/seafood.

God no, reverse the cooking order... The taste of fish will never leave the oil you use, and unless you like that taste on your donuts------ please don't...:)

I'm not sure why you would want to. Maybe if you had fried vegetables or something without a lot of taste but I'd think frying your donuts in shrimp oil would make it smell like an ocean.

Back
Top Bottom