"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Woolworths my God I haven't thought about that in years... We use to call it the "five and dime", I remember having their ham sandwiches (thanks for the link to the recipe Kathleen), and their burgers... I also remember a place called Jahns in Jackson Heights N.Y., it was known for the ice cream, but they had food also... My parents rented the apt. above them and every year on our birthdays my siblings and I would go down and get our free banana split... They were the best... I also remember A&W rootbeer floats in the frosty mugs, and there was a place in Manhatten that was like a cafeteria, where you would put your money in the slot and open the little glass door to retrieve your food... I can't for the life off me remember the name of the place, but as kids we thought that was great fun...
Horn and Hardart's?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I used to get it at a local corner store. You could get it anywhere in the area. It cwould come in clear cellophane whith no label or writing on it at all. It would cost about a nickle for a fairly large square. Sponge toffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christine's Sponge Toffee - Recipes - Food Network Canada
Checked out the wiki and see it was sometimes covered in chocolate. I'm sure PF will agree that could present a dilemma for the sponge toffee purist and so, as our resident sponge toffee expert, you should make it and send it: Half WITH chocolate and half without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Oh, Kathleen, I worked at the Woolworth's lunch counter in Regina when I was in University. making the ham salad was one of my jobs and I was a vegetarian. But it smelled so good that I snuck a spoonful and was surprised that I liked it! Thanks for bringing that memory back.

I mostly worked the sandwich station, but sometimes filled in on grill making burgers, etc. It was a great job. The only down part was our uniforms were orange and brown and I lived in the dorm. I had to dress at "home" as there were no lockers. I had to cut through the TV room and the guys would wait for me and then follow me out swaggering and whistling the A&W Root Bear music!

As for food, the Kmart cafe had the best grilled cheese sandwiches and crinkle cut fries.

I'll bet it was fun work. Please settle the ham cube size discussion for my mother and me: How big were the ham cubes diced?

The uniform that I remember was pink and white. I love pink though it did not suit Edna's personality at all. That being said, she seemed to point me in the direction of the 1 penny balloons for my banana split!

I loved Kmart's submarine sandwiches. It was the first place that I had an Italian cold cut sandwich and I thought it was simply the best thing on earth for impromptu picnics. Sometimes, I would suggest a picnic just to get the sandwich. I never had Kmart's grilled cheese. What made them special?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
The only down part was our uniforms were orange and brown...
How is this a downside?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Horn and Hardart's?
Auto-Mat?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Checked out the wiki and see it was sometimes covered in chocolate. I'm sure PF will agree that could present a dilemma for the sponge toffee purist and so, as our resident sponge toffee expert, you should make it and send it: Half WITH chocolate and half without.
Absolutely, make sure they get sent to Kathleen and ME!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Auto-Mat?
That's what it sounds like Mimi is describing. I only know about them because I had a set of Horn & Hardart forks I got at a surplus store.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
Sous Chef

I was getting through the thread to post about Automats. Yes, that is a fond memory. They were still around when I was a child, but quickly losing ground to fast food restaurants. Good, fresh, real food fast. Now that was something.

I make the Horn and Hardt's baked beans which are always a hit.

I also miss real soda fountains where your soda pop was mixed right there. They'd always give me an extra shot of syrup in my root beers that made them so sweet I could barely stand it. Good memories. I don't even drink soda anymore, but still, good memories.

Oh, and the old soda pop machines where you put in your coin and slid the bottle of soda along the rails out to the little lever and pulled it through. The coke bottles would hang by their caps on these rails in the cooler. Miss those, too.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Our A&W/Long John Silver's (why did they combine those??) will give you a frosted glass mug to use to fill your root beer if you want it, but it isn't the same as driving up and getting it served on a tray hanging from your rolled down car window. Oh, and it also doesn't have the little plastic giraffe hanging on the rim of the mug, either. Remember those little plastic animals??
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Our A&W/Long John Silver's (why did they combine those??) will give you a frosted glass mug to use to fill your root beer if you want it, but it isn't the same as driving up and getting it served on a tray hanging from your rolled down car window. Oh, and it also doesn't have the little plastic giraffe hanging on the rim of the mug, either. Remember those little plastic animals??
Ours is an A&W/KFC...

Yes, I remember the plastic animals, I had quite a collection of them.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Our A&W/Long John Silver's (why did they combine those??)
A&W, Long John Silvers, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell are all owned by the same parent company, Yums.

Tags
lunch