"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef

SizzlinIn, and all the others, thanks so much for the input. Siz, I can see the best of what I've done is what you mention - it's the rest that I have a problem with - I think I'm related to your dad. I'm going to set a deadline to have it all done by .............., hopefully soon. My disorganization drove me crazy during the holidays - with so many people about and trying to prepare good meals. I have a very large pantry and there is no reason under the sun why my kitchen shouldn't be in perfect order, except I buy too much. That will be my belated resolution - to get control of my kitchen and pantry and stay out of the grocery store til I remedy this situation.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Licia, do you have at least a modest budget to make some improvements, even if you don't sell out or even remodel? There are a number of racks and other accessories you can add to a kitchen to make things much more user-friendly -- things like a revolving pan rack for a corner cupboard under the counter, or slide out shelves.

Also, the backsplash area can hold a huge number of frequently-used utensils if you install a rack or two, and handling them that way frees up drawers.

Do you have any particular pet peeves? Areas that just aren't working you could describe to us?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The things that are used most often should always be closest to where it is used most often. For example, a tongs or fish turner should always be kept near the stove. It makes no sense to have to dash across your kitchen to grab it while your fish is burning because your forgot to include it in your mise en place.
I follow the same concept here.

One other thing I do is also keep in mind unloading the dishwasher. My plates (which are big and heavy) are in the cabinet right above the dishwasher so when I am unloading them I can just reach right up a and put them away. That also just happens to be the closest cabinet to the table as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
Executive Chef

kitchen organization is no one's business but yours...it should be structured by how you cook. Good basic appliance organization is triangular. I get bothered by folks who tell me my kitchen could be neater if I did this or that. Well, everything is in its place and I expect to find it there when I want it! What could be neater than that?

I have clear counter space, safe well lighted chopping space, good ventillation, and I always set up my mise en place. You want it to look like a model show room? Sorry, nobody cooks there!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
Master Chef

I have just way-way too much stuf in the kitchen that's my problem My kitchen is actualy huge, but incredibly messy.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
kitchen organization is no one's business but yours...it should be structured by how you cook. Good basic appliance organization is triangular. I get bothered by folks who tell me my kitchen could be neater if I did this or that. Well, everything is in its place and I expect to find it there when I want it! What could be neater than that?

I have clear counter space, safe well lighted chopping space, good ventillation, and I always set up my mise en place. You want it to look like a model show room? Sorry, nobody cooks there!
.......sorry if I or another poster touched a nerve. I know I was just trying to help out fellow member that asked. Have a great day!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My kitchen get a good cleaning out about once a month which
really helps. I too buy to much when I clean out my pantry I
find I have two of this and three of that when it is great to only
have one on hand. My pantry gets so messy putting things back
once we have used it. My kids put the crackers in a different spot
than I intended them to go and my hubby puts them in a different
spot. This pretty much happens with everything in the pantry. When
this happens I never know what I really have in there, until I reorganize.

But what I really hate is the drawers where I keep my cooking utensils,
I have so many of them and I don't want to get rid of them they
come in handy when we are serving alot of people. I guess I should
just stick them in box or something in the basement. I have two
huge drawers that sometimes is hard to close because of the clutter.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do with all your
extra untensils you only use once in awhile?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I have a couple of problems with my kitchen.

1. NO counter space, I mean almost completely zero. I have to do all of my prep on the kitchen table just because there is nowhere to work on the counter.
2. Very little cabinet space. I have 4 smallish cabinets that are actually handy everyhing else is so high up (over the stove, refrigerator, or just the top shelvs of the others that I have to bring a chair over to them to find anything.
3. We are renting so I do not want to put many holes in the walls to hang racks etc. so I have to just make do until we move again.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Master Chef

Organization???? You mean there's actually a way I can find one of the gazilion kitchen things I own when I need them? Surely you jest. : )
Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Many of the suggestions here are already in place - cabinet of lazy susans, slide out drawers, etc. I think the problem is I try to keep too much stuff on hand. I'm thinking about making the corner lazy susan the baking center - most of the big containers for baking. I don't put sugar, etc in cannisters on the counter. I like to keep my counters quite bare. Many good ideas and I will just compile a list of what I can use. Thanks to all who have helped.