Electric bbq and kabobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I recently bought what I call an "electric barbque" to use cooking. It has a heating element with a rack on top to put things to cook and cooks the same way a bbq would. I have looked at a couple of recipes so far for preparing kabobs but decided to first probe the minds of experts, especially those who have cooked these before. I have eaten kabobs in friends home - also made with the electric bbq - and the meat is usually a little dry and tough. I have eaten kabobs from the street vendors and find them to be tender and tasty.

Can someone give me some insight into the cooking and preparation process - maybe the chemistry and physics of kabobs, if you will? Detailed recipes are also appreciated but I want to know the key ingredients, techniques, etc first.

The key to moist and flavorful meat is to purchase great meat and not overcook it. Much of what is sold in supermarkets these days is very lean, which doesn't work well for food cooked by infra-red heat (electric elements, gas flame, charcoal). The meat will come out dry, and fairly tough, especially if cooked beyond medium rare.

Look for chuck, sirloin, rib portions, and mock tender steak that is marbled will flecks of fat. Avoid meat with lots of connecting tissue, or big chunks of fat. If you can find a meat store, or department with a competent butcher, he can help.

The meat, once chosen is cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes. These can be salted, or seasoned with your favorite seasoning blend, or marinated in something like a tertyaki marinade. Try to chose veggies that will hold together on the skewer and finish cooking in the time it takes to cook the meat cubes. The following go well with beef: cherry tomatoes, pineapple, bell pepper chunks, quartered onion, large chunks of white or portabella mushrooms,. If you want to get a bit fancier, try wrapping bacon around the pineapple or other veggies.

For pork, pearl onion, carrot (must be partially cooked before skewering), cherry tomato, peinapple/apple/firm fruit, etc.

Anything that goes with either the pork or beef will go with the chicken.

With chicken, you will need to cook it until it's just barely done all the way through. A fruity glaze or sauce can be painted onto any of the above kabob combinations. Just be aware that sugar burns quickly and sugary sauces and glazes should be applied a moment or so before removing the kabobs from the heat.

Sauces can be as ornate as a good sweet and sour sauce, or as simple as lime juice.

Have fun with your meal, and experiment a little.

Oh, and if you want cooked spuds with your meal, they have to be made separately, as the time required to cook the potatoes through will burn everything else.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cevapcici
1.5 lbs minced butt pork
1 lbs " Beef
0.5lbs " Lamb
4 cloves minced garlic
1 egg white
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp paprika
Mix together well, chill, shape into sausages, grill over medium heat. Toast pitta bread, split put in your hot Cevap, lots of sliced onion and a big blob of Advar.

I always use sirloin, cut out the silver skin, cut into bite size pieces(small or the kids will try to put too much in their mouth, they take after their mother:rolleyes:;)), but I usually smoke it, low and slow.

Another idea is something I've seen on you-tube. Can't remember if it is greek or what, but they would take ground meat and pack it on a skewer. You could grind up some chuck and pack it on there. Just an idea. Maybe someone knows what I'm talk'n about and can explain better.

Back
Top Bottom