"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

Factory Farms

I wasn't sure where to put this...

Factory Farming - Poultry Production

Old 01-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

Just out of curiousity Constance - are you a vegetarian? If not, do you raise & slaughter your own meat/poultry?

I'm not asking that to be snarky, but the answers do open up more of a discussion to this.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Gotta' feed the masses! The majority bases purchase decisions on price over any other factor, whether that be quality or even ethics. Thats why factory-farming of animals has developed to the point it is now.

If you really want to see something gross, look up the conditions and environmental impact of Smithfield Pork farms in the Mid-Atlantic states. I refuse to purchase Smithfield pork products for this reason, and the fact that they are almost all packaged in a salted broth to plump the meat and extend it's shelf life. It's cheap, but not better in my book!

But mass farming is what it is. I bought a couple 3lb chickens this morning for $2 each. I can't believe there are even any profits in that! It's that streamlined process that enables the high volume and low prices.

I don't think I could ever become a vegetarian though. And unlike that article states, I'm in no way drifting from red meat eating!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

A rather disturbing article isn't it? But before you rush to become a vegetarian by reaction, it might be informative to read what methods growers use to make their crops grow virtually overnight in greenhouses.

Quite seriously, the only answer is to grow/raise whatever you consume. But for how many of us is this possible in today's world?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Will Rogers..(one of my American heros) once quiped.."The making of laws and the making of sausage should not be watched" I suppose one could add to this..slaughter houses and chicken processing plants should not be visited!!
Just enjoy the products....or not...
Old 01-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I remember from a "History of Science & Technology" class I took at UMass that large-scale farming is one of the activities that promotes advancement of society and civilization. It reduces the workload on people and frees up time for education. Of course in much of the developed world this free time is now spent in vegetation... so why not be in it literally by returning to small farms...
Old 01-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I remember from a "History of Science & Technology" class I took at UMass that large-scale farming is one of the activities that promotes advancement of society and civilization. It reduces the workload on people and frees up time for education. Of course in much of the developed world this free time is now spent in vegetation... so why not be in it literally by returning to small farms...
What your History of Science & Technology has taught you was spot on here in Greece. That is to say, with technological advances in farming and the resulting abandonment of farming as a livelihood by many, so much time became available for education that everyone has ended with at least one college degree and, as a result nothing much to do. Perhaps the return to the vegetative or small farm stage has been forestalled at present as everyone is too busy pursuing additional education and therefore degrees as a way out.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Does Chapter 13 ring any bells with you? By the way we call our
small farms "living rooms"
Old 01-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Ya know, I really dislike this sort of topic on a food forum. It only causes problems eventually.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Anyone mess with Amber....Uncle Bob send many braves and many arrows!!