"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Head Chef

Another thumbs up for Outback; another thumbs down for Applebees. I like Cracker Barrel for road trip breakfast.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Head Chef

Like: Jersey Mike Subs, Taco Bell!, Carrabbas, Joe's Crab Shack, couple others.

Dislike: PF Chang, holder of saltiest food record. Cheesecake Factory where nothing is good for you. Chilis, where the food is boring. Applebee's where the ribs taste freezer burned. South of the Border, Tony Roma Ribs.. both consistently boring food, poor service. I could go on... don't eat in restaurants much anymore. (Mostly because of the incredibly unhealthy salt and calorie content.)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Head Chef

Least favorite: Olive Garden, Applebee's ( I will not go to these).

Favorites: Morton's. McCormick and Shmicks
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Master Chef

With the exception of some higher end chains like Morton's and The palm, I generally dislike chain restaurant food.

The only one I do like is IHOP for breakfast. And Chevy's, Red Robin, Ruby Tuesday, Waffle House and 5 Guys are OK.

The ones I can't stand are Olive Garden, Applebees, PF Changs, Maggianos, Cheesecake Factory, Outback, Friendly's, Red Lobster, Bertuccis, Sbarro, CPK.

By far the worst is Applebees. Their food is ghastly.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't like chains. There is usually a local option that's better. If a chain is my only option, then I can suffer through a meal at any one of them if I have to.

Went to a 5 Guys on a recommendation and it was awful.

Won't go to Outback.

Longhorn is good. Not on a par with a Morton's or M&S, but it's not intended to be.

Had a burger at Applebee's once and it was no better or worse than similar places except Ruby Tuesday's, which is pretty good.

Many of the chains some have referenced aren't around here so I can't relate.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The 5 Guys here is fantastic...upon reading fat and salt content...they are higher than Mc D's.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't like chains. There is usually a local option that's better. If a chain is my only option, then I can suffer through a meal at any one of them if I have to.

Went to a 5 Guys on a recommendation and it was awful.

Won't go to Outback.

Longhorn is good. Not on a par with a Morton's or M&S, but it's not intended to be.

Had a burger at Applebee's once and it was no better or worse than similar places except Ruby Tuesday's, which is pretty good.

Many of the chains some have referenced aren't around here so I can't relate.
Which 5 guys did you go to? I think they are going downhill.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Which 5 guys did you go to? I think they are going downhill.

We went to the one in Nashua, NH. It's the nearest one. The burgers were overcooked and dry as a bone (not "well done and juicy"). The fries were greasy and ugly. The restaurant was not clean (I realize this is an individual indictment). Based on this experience, for the money, I'd go to Burger King and eat twice.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Head Chef

It would be fun to try some of the regional chains not in this area, but sticking to the national ones, the Palm and Morton's are both good, with the Palm getting the edge. I like El Torito a lot, especially their high-end version, and the Maggiano's I've been to near the Farmer's Market complex in L.A. is very good.
Denny's not a destination place, but when it's the only game in town out in the boondocks, is a lifesaver.
Have been to an Appleby's and P.F. Chang's once each and won't go again, and I may be the only person in the Western hemisphere who has never been to a McDonald's!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
There really are only a few (technically) chain restaurants where I will agree to eat. My favorite would be Legal Sea Food. I've been eating there since there was only one, in Cambridge, MA. They have managed to maintain really high standards across the board.

I also like Morton's Steak House and Capital Grille. Both serve high quality food and have excellent service.

I am lucky to live in a city where there are boatloads of choices other than the chain restaurants that seem to populate suburbia. I have never been to one of the well-known chains so many folks seem to love that I would willingly go back to, and surely would not pay for. I'd rather eat a cheese sandwich at home!