Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I routinely stop by TJs for a sample size of coffee before work. :angel:

You can drive a car before consuming mass quantities of coffee???

Okay I'll admit twice a few months ago and when I awoke I had to drive for my coffee. First time I drove to McDonalds (they're closest) and the coffee was burned. Second time I drove to (shudder) Starbucks and at least it wasn't burned, although neither was as good as my normal Trader Joe's bean Columbian.

I've been playing with some WFM blends (Volcan Mind Blend, or tomorrow's Vavoom Blend) but while they're nice for a change I'll still take my TJ's Columbian over any of them day in day out.

Last edited:
Greg, you're talking about the coffee that comes in that beautiful tall black container with the Toucan bird on it right? You're correct about how wonderful that coffee is! The container is so beautiful it's a shame to throw it out.

Yeah, Kay, it's the Toucan coffee. I've been drinking that as my main coffee staple for several years or more. While I'm having the WFM tomorrow and for a few days, I have not only an almost full two pound container of TJ's Colombian (these days two pounds = 28 ounces) but I have a spare 'nother container in my pantry.

I'm really grumpy when I wake up and I don't wanna do anything except drink coffee, and no damned driving involved! That's why the extra container.

I've recently purchased a scanner (HP 5590) and I scanned and uploaded the image for you Kayelle. :)

scolumbiasupremocoffee.jpg

Looks like they changed the look since I last bought it Greg, although this one is very pretty also.
I think I'll buy some to put in my extra Kerug cup and save myself some money on the very expensive pre filled cups for the machine.

They used to carry a wonderful lemoncello.

I bought it once but by the time I needed more they no longer stocked it.

Disappointing!

The last time I posted about TJ's chocolate it was discontinued.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/favorite-item-from-trader-joes-66829-3.html#post928766

While browsing TJ's last week I picked up a fur bar pack of Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Imported from Belgium. These appear to be the replacement for the earlier discontinued bars. They contain a minimum of 56% cocoa solids. This is very good dark chocolate. Just the right bitterness level with a creamy finish. Worth a try.

I found another frozen new favorite at TJ's the other day. This is food for the gods........
The flavor of the truffle sauce is delectable. I added some asparagus pieces to it for a delicious gormet meal for two.
Highly recommended.

img_1267790_0_40d11847aa711c8fdb87d7003d220078.jpg

Oh, most about anything they sell! My very favorite was a shelf-staple jar of hollandaise sauce but, alas, it has been replaced by a similar item in the fresh-food department. The new version doesn't have the same flavor or texture. Don't know why they got rid of the first kind (it wasn't full of junky stuff or additives) but I miss having that jar in the basement for an impromtu eggs benedict. Now I either have to plan ahead and make sure I use the new kind before its expiration or else just make my own. I do make a quick, easy and yummy from-scratch hollandaise, but that jar worked a lot faster and was nearly as good.

Nowadays I'm kinda partial to their frozen fish. If I have a taste for fish but not heading to the grocery store I can still fix it for dinner - and it's so good you can't tell it was frozen. Mostly...

I found another frozen new favorite at TJ's the other day. This is food for the gods........
The flavor of the truffle sauce is delectable. I added some asparagus pieces to it for a delicious gormet meal for two.
Highly recommended.

img_1267801_0_40d11847aa711c8fdb87d7003d220078.jpg

Kayelle, that package and your recommendation decided it. 7:00PM Mass on Sunday since the church is about 2 miles from our nearest TJs! Time to make my list...:yum:

the triple ginger cookies

I shop the TJ in Santa Fe and that store has a difficult time keeping them in stock, and they keep expanding the display. Tha last time I was there, there were none to be found:(

the triple ginger cookies

I shop the TJ in Santa Fe and that store has a difficult time keeping them in stock, and they keep expanding the display. Tha last time I was there, there were none to be found:(

I hate it when something I really like is never in stock. I discovered if you special order it, you get yours before it hits the shelves.

Addie, there are 11 TJs in eastern MA and one in Nashua, just over the border.

Andy, they're up to 14 plus one on the way in Hingham. Plus Nashua.

We were meeting my SIL and her hubby for Thanksgiving 2005, sharing a Hilton Head timeshare unit. Neither of us wanted to make a big meal, so we stopped at the southernmost TJs just south of Washington DC. Half-dozen years later they've made it all the way to FL!

I stopped at TJ's at 8am this morning on the way to work and picked up some trail mix and steak burritos to pop in the microwave for lunch. I also went in there for the free cup of coffee....lol... Just sayin'...

My newest favorite TJ is their cryo-vac rib eye steaks, ready to pop into my Sous Vide for effortless almost perfect steaks. (Nobody will ever agree on what constitutes a perfect steak, so it's impossible for any cooking technique to result in a perfect steak for all.)

I prolly never mentioned this before, but I love crystallized ginger as an appetizer before dinner, along with my cheese and nuts and pretzels etc... TJ's quit selling this for 1-2 years although has recently started selling the product again.

I learned how to make my own crystallized ginger (and it's a lot cheaper too!). Somebody remind me if you want me to post the recipe (or Google is your friend). The essence: simmer ginger in a more than 50/50 mixture of sugar:water for a few hours, then dry it. In fact that's the recipe so no need for me to post it, been there done that... ;)

TJ's Colombian coffee has been my house standard for many years. I occasionally mix it up with various beans from WFM.

My newest favorite TJ is their cryo-vac rib eye steaks, ready to pop into my Sous Vide for effortless almost perfect steaks.

It's convenient when they come cryo-vac'ed like that. It's great for those who don't own vacuum sealers.
I've been thinking about trying this myself with a stove top DIY sous vide setup.
Do you have a SV cooker?

Back
Top Bottom