"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #151
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
My store is tiny and the isles aren't that long and none are devoted to wine.
Perhaps you should speak with the store manager. They should at least carry their house brand, if any.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #152
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks guys. I figured it was cheap wine, but that expression had me completely baffled. I buy decent, but cheap wine here in a box: ~$30 for a 4 litre box

Dang! I envy your California wine prices.
TL darlin, I'm sending you a sympathy card. Holy cow it's criminal to have to pay $30.00 for boxed wine. I always have a box in the fridge, and we even pack a box in our luggage when we travel. I like Vella brand the best, and I've never paid more than $10.00 a box. It's excellent wine to boot.
Peter Vella Boxed White Wine wins the 2007 ChefsBest Award for Best Taste

I've had "two buck Chuck" from TJ's but I really prefer Vella box.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #153
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
It's there.

Not all TJ's sell wine.

It's dependent on the local government whether or not the store is granted a license to sell alcohol. e.g. only one TJ's in MA has a liquor license. The one near me does not.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
TL darlin, I'm sending you a sympathy card. Holy cow it's criminal to have to pay $30.00 for boxed wine. I always have a box in the fridge, and we even pack a box in our luggage when we travel. I like Vella brand the best, and I've never paid more than $10.00 a box. It's excellent wine to boot.

That looks great. I like having the box. Even though I have a thingee that sucks the air out of a bottle and closes it airtight, I find it hard to put that bottle away if it isn't empty. I like being able to take just one glass.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #155
Master Chef

I forgot about state laws governing liquor sales. Glad I don't live in Utah....lol...
Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #156
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Huh? The things you learn here in the DC forum...wine in a box??? And I went to the website you posted and it said that their wine is good in fish & seafood marinades...people seriously marinade fish??? Fish has such a mild flavor to begin with.

When you said you packed boxed wine in your suitcases I thought you meant a boxed case of bottled wine...
...I was thinkin' now there's a gal who enjoys her travelin' .
Then I clicked on that website...phew
Attached Images

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #157
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Huh? The things you learn here in the DC forum...wine in a box??? And I went to the website you posted and it said that their wine is good in fish & seafood marinades...people seriously marinade fish??? Fish has such a mild flavor to begin with.

When you said you packed boxed wine in your suitcases I thought you meant a boxed case of bottled wine...
...I was thinkin' now there's a gal who enjoys travlin' .
Then I clicked on your website...phew
Wine in a box is great. There is a plastic bag inside that collapses as the wine is served, so air doesn't get in. There is a little spigot on the outside of the box (well, you usually have to pull it out yourself) for serving the wine.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #158
Master Chef

good golly miss molly......

Don't tell me you don't know about boxed wine!! Tiz a wonderful thing.
It's been around for many many years......I used to take it camping, and my now 30 something little boy would blow up the empty bag inside the box for a pillow, or a float to play in the lake. I'm cracking up with the memory. Now days, with a glass of wine so expensive on cruise ships, we enjoy our boxed wine in our room and figured out a box of $10.00 wine is actually worth $200.00. Told ya I was frugal!!

BTW, boxed wine is sold here in grocery stores, not at TJ's.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #159
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good idea KL. I like to get a large bottle of wine to have around, but lugging it is a nuisance. I'll get the boxed next time. It should be a lot lighter without the glass bottle.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #160
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not all TJ's sell wine.

It's dependent on the local government whether or not the store is granted a license to sell alcohol. e.g. only one TJ's in MA has a liquor license. The one near me does not.
In New Jersey regular grocery stores CANNOT sell alcohol. Thats why there is usually right next door (most times sharing a common inner wall but definatly seperate) the stores Liquor Store. Example Shop-Rite Supermarket & Shop-Rite Liquors.