Favorite spice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
the one spice you can't live with out besides pepper/salt....
I love garlic powcer and basil...

(sorry if some of my threads have been asked before, I always scroll to see, before i post,but I am sure some of them are buried in the pile, but I am kinda new, and its always fun to update your answers,thanks for understanding,your friend,kim):)

I don't think I have just one favorite. it changes from time to time. Right now it is my smoked Spanish paprika. I love that stuff!

I'd have to say cumin, I like it's warmth and full flavour in almost any dish.

Please don't ask me to decide! I have a cabinet full of herbs and spices. Being a cook, I'm used to using a lot of different, and exotic, stuff.

I cook a lot chicken, as it's cheap, and I have a lot of kids to feed. I always season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic (usually fresh, but sometimes powder), sometimes onion powder, and always, thyme, sage, and paprika. Tarragon also goes well with chicken.

Probably thyme because I love to make stock and usually add it.

And it makes the house smell so gosh darn good.

Well if we are talking herbs as well as spices then I would change my choice to cilantro, but if we are just talking spices then my original choice still stands.

I would have to say Garlic Salt! It can go on almost everything and it tastes so good.:)

Herbs - I love them all, and I'm lucky that I have many in my own garden. Including things like turmeric (very nice, fresh, not dried and powdered), and lemon myrtle which is lemon-ier than lemon or any other lemon-y herb I've yet discovered. Not long ago I discovered Sumac, and that has been getting a fair work-out lately. I think you could say my favourite would be the one I used most recently - in this case, lavender, because I've just made a batch of lavender muffins and they are very yummy indeed.

Nutmeg on a baked custard, cinnamon/sugar on a tea cake, ginger steamed pudding, a home-made curry (fenugreek, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, you name it!) - who can beat any of these for spices? Unless it's pepper with strawberries!

Tie between garlic and cinnamon. Ginger, black pepper, paprika, chilli powder, onion salt/powder and nutmeg come in close behind.

Last edited:
Spice???

Cumin is up there for me.

Even tho it is not a single spice, I keep Nature's Seasoning handy at all times. Nice well rounded seasoning that I use in most all off my cooking.

Other than that... garlic is awesome and anything hot and spicy is at the top for me.

sattie said:
Cumin is up there for me.

Even tho it is not a single spice, I keep Nature's Seasoning handy at all times. Nice well rounded seasoning that I use in most all off my cooking.

Other than that... garlic is awesome and anything hot and spicy is at the top for me.

I'll second some Nature's seasoning. I keep several seasoned salts around but I grow more and more fond of that one.

I'm a spice freak anyways, so I can't really pick.

I love cardamom, corrainder (seed)and cumin. I think I have a lot of spices that some may consider exotic but these are the ones I use the most.

Cardamom is not very popular here but it has a spicy, minty, fresh flavor that goes well with tea, coffee, desserts, curries and other baked items. I highly recommend you be adventurous and give it a try sometime.

Back
Top Bottom