"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanxpe View Post
I defrosted chicken, cooked it and froze it
Defrosted, and served. Now I want to refreeze remaining

Think that's safe.

NO!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanxpe View Post
I defrosted chicken, cooked it and froze it
Defrosted, and served. Now I want to refreeze remaining

Think that's safe.
NO, NO!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No, no, no!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Cook

A definite no from me too.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beke View Post
Hi...I'm curious if it's safe to make foods, freeze to eat some later, then if there's plenty left, freeze it again....repeating until it's gone or ppl get tired of having it. I've always been told that you can only freeze a food once but I have a friend that makes huge pots of chili and freezes and refreezes the stuff until it's gone, sometimes taking a month to finish it all!
No one has ever gotten sick that I know of, but I'm really weird about that sort of thing. If someone says my milk even LOOKS weird I wont drink it lol.
Personally I wouldn't keep re-heating, freezing, re-heating, freezing, and so on. It may or may not make you sick but it won't be improved by the procedure. It will deteriorate in quality and taste and the food value (eg the vitamin content, etc.,) will decline.

As someone else said, there's no problem in making a big batch of something and freezing it down in manageable batches for future use. The important thing is to cool it as quickly as possible and don't leave it hanging around in the kitchen before you freeze it, in order that nasty organisms have less time to breed.

I'll say it again though it's been said many times before - don't freeze rice unless you are very, very careful.

It's a point of record that most cases of food poisoning originate from within the home and are caused by poor food and cooking hygiene.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quality suffer the most from repeated freezing cycles.

Safety depends on the care taken while the product is in the unfrozen state.

Portion size is the way to go with freezing so you don't defrost more then is needed.

Just thoughts from someone who cooks for 1.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
Head Chef

Snippets from online sites:

"Freezing does slow down the microbes that cause food to spoil, but it's pretty much useless for killing dangerous bugs."

"But while freezing doesn't defeat pathogens, heat will. Bacteria die if they're heated to 165F."

"microwave ovens are notorious for heating food unevenly. Thus the sometimes-intricate package instructions involving turning, stirring, and waiting."

"With a frozen ready-to-cook food, I would always go with the stove, not the microwave," he says."

But reading at another site:

"Myth #5: Once Thawed, Food Cannot Be Refrozen Without Cooking It First
You can freeze and refreeze to your heartís content as long as the food has not been left outside the fridge for more than 2 hours (or 1 hour in 90-degree heat). One point to be aware of is that refreezing anything uncooked, especially meat, will degrade the quality due to the loss of moisture in the thawing process. So although it is technically safe to eat, from a culinary standpoint, itís best to avoid refreezing if at all possible."

Now I'm confused.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

If you make a large pot of stew and you know you can only eat two bowls full at a sitting, then you freeze the balance in that size as individual servings. You don't freeze the whole of what is left over and over. You are just asking for trouble. Food poisoning is no joke. And the last food you want to fool around with is chicken. Fish is another food that requires special handling. By reheating the whole of it over and over you have destroyed all nutrients. If you are not going to be nourished by what you eat, why bother eating?

Do not refreeze foods over and over. It is just too dangerous.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Snippets from online sites:

1. "Freezing does slow down the microbes that cause food to spoil, but it's pretty much useless for killing dangerous bugs."

2. "But while freezing doesn't defeat pathogens, heat will. Bacteria die if they're heated to 165F."

3. "microwave ovens are notorious for heating food unevenly. Thus the sometimes-intricate package instructions involving turning, stirring, and waiting."

4. "With a frozen ready-to-cook food, I would always go with the stove, not the microwave," he says."

But reading at another site:

5. "Myth #5: Once Thawed, Food Cannot Be Refrozen Without Cooking It First
You can freeze and refreeze to your heartís content as long as the food has not been left outside the fridge for more than 2 hours (or 1 hour in 90-degree heat). One point to be aware of is that refreezing anything uncooked, especially meat, will degrade the quality due to the loss of moisture in the thawing process. So although it is technically safe to eat, from a culinary standpoint, itís best to avoid refreezing if at all possible."

Now I'm confused.
1. True. Freshly cooked food is a "clean slate". If you cool and store it properly, bacterial contamination should not be an issue. So if you freeze contaminated food, it will still be contaminated when you defrost it.

2. Almost always true.

3. True. So follow directions and stir, turn, wait if so directed and you should be fine.

4. See #3

5. False. The red text is true. Frozen food thawed in the fridge the immediately refrozen is not dangerous. You are degrading the texture as freezing damages the cell walls in foods so texture suffers.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Executive Chef

While the practice of thawing and reheating is not the best for taste and texture, scientifically, I can see no way bacteria can survive the reheat process as long as the desired temperature is achieved and consistent throughout the dish.