"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'll agree clive - I can keep mine longer too but I've never really tried to "time" it

You can flavor olive oil with fresh herbs (basil is a favorite then I make basil lemon chicken). I have flavored olive oil with garlic before but I only let it marinate for a few days. Lots of garlic to a little olive oil. Basil and garlic is a great thing too as is rosemary and garlic. Any of your herbs, as long as they are clean and DRY can be marinated for a short time in oil. Then I remove the herbs and use in a matter of a few days.

There are ways to get around the garlic in olive oil with the use of some sort of citric acid but I haven't ventured out that far yet.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

We love garlic. I use fresh when I have it, but it doesn't keep to well for me.
We use a LOT of jarred minced garlic. I know a lot of you don't care for it, but we don't have a problem with it. I also use granulated garlic fairly often. I prefer it to garlic powder, as it doesn't draw moisture as easily, and I think it has more taste.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

So if my garlic starts sprouting should I keep it (but the the green off like Elf said) or chuck it out like the URL I posted in Page 1 says? Also, I am still concerned over this part:
Quote:
Also, wondering, why does chopped garlic turn greenish when steamed?
Quote:
The garlic turning green I believe is a chemical reaction with the container you are steaming them in.
Quote:
I was steaming the garlic in a stainless steel pot. So is the greenish chopped garlic safe for consumption after going through the chemical reaction?
Does anyone know the answer to it?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

If the green sprouts bother you, remove them from the clove and use the remainder. They are harmless. The URL tells you to toss them because it can effect the taste if used. The colors in the garlic are totally harmless and are the result of a chemical reaction in an acidic environment.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
have a read here, you`ll see that the garlic color is Not a problem beyond aesthetics :)

Garlic has turned color?

Anthocyanins are perfectly harmless and have a range of colors.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

anticuchos - ok, I did an experiment. I pulled out a small stem and tasted it. It was at first bitter/peppery then the garlic taste kicked in. If the stems are small by all means just cut them up and use them if you are cooking with them. If, however you are going to be using them raw cut in half (tip to tip) and remove the stem.

For an older garlic where, if you cut the clove in half from tip to tip, the stem takes up more space than the white garlic I will usually throw it away UNLESS I don't have anymore then I totally remove the big green sprout/stem and use the rest. It just denotes an older piece of garlic that may have lost some of it's flavor.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ...and now I'm going to have garlic breath all day!

Old 10-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
...and now I'm going to have garlic breath all day!
thank you, elfie, for your sacrifice in the interest of research. You admins are the best.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Let me tell you that I've never STEAMED garlic in my life. I'd have thought it would make the garlic a little wimpy in flavour.i.e. - on a flavour scale of 1 - 10: Steamed Garlic = 1.2

now to address your specific questions: ( which Kitchenelf has already answered):

1)Also, wondering, why does chopped garlic turn greenish when steamed?

A chemical reaction.Copper turns green in certain chemical processes.

2) The garlic turning green I believe is a chemical reaction with the container you are steaming them in.

Quod erat demostrandum.

3) I was steaming the garlic in a stainless steel pot. So is the greenish chopped garlic safe for consumption after going through the chemical reaction?

Yes.What were you steaming the garlic in, apart from the pot? A bamboo steamer? Or something else?

Again, I reiterate my initial rejection of steamed garlic. Fried - yes. Poached - yes. Baked - yes. Grilled - yes. Steamed...
Old 10-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to tomchef
why would you steam garlic?why?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchef
why would you steam garlic?why?
I don't think garlic was the only thing being steamed here. I assume it was to add some flavor to some other steamed vegetable maybe? Like steamed zucchini or squash - it was used to flavor at the time of steaming.

When I steam either one of these veggies I also use some onion - I never thought about garlic though.