"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I have found difficulty getting my supermarket meat department (Ralphs AKA Krogers) to do anything custom for me because "We have to clean our equipment every time we change from beef to chicken to pork etc. and it's too much trouble for just one order." FDA regulations and all that. Yeah, I was not a happy customer.

The next time I just cut my meat up into large chunks and ran it through my food processor. Maybe I'll get a meat grinder one day.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like my hand crank grinder better than the one on my KA. I feel like I have more control and I don't have to jump around like a rabid hyena to keep it going.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I like my hand crank grinder better than the one on my KA. I feel like I have more control and I don't have to jump around like a rabid hyena to keep it going.
I remember watching my mom's hand crank grinder as a little kid. It's been gone for many years, but it was fascinating to watch her put all the stuff through it.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I have found difficulty getting my supermarket meat department (Ralphs AKA Krogers) to do anything custom for me because "We have to clean our equipment every time we change from beef to chicken to pork etc. and it's too much trouble for just one order." FDA regulations and all that. Yeah, I was not a happy customer.

The next time I just cut my meat up into large chunks and ran it through my food processor. Maybe I'll get a meat grinder one day.
I wonder if it is just the people in the meat department who say it is too much trouble for one order, or if that is store policy. I would talk to the store manager about it. Are there any other stores in the area?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

In my store they will custom grind beef, but that's it. Company policy as well as the health department, won't allow any other meats put through the machine without a complete tear down and sanitize, which is a big job, because the machine is huge!

Most stores run short handed to cut labor as much as possible, and doing multiple tear downs in a day would be stressful for the worker and put them behind on their regular duties.

All other meats come pre-ground.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A friend of mine gets her meat ground, by going in on the right day. She found out what day of the week they grind chicken, what day beef, etc. Then she buys her beef or chicken or whatever on the right day and they are happy to it some for her.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
In my store they will custom grind beef, but that's it. Company policy as well as the health department, won't allow any other meats put through the machine without a complete tear down and sanitize, which is a big job, because the machine is huge!
That was the explanation. Each time they do any meat, poultry, anything, they set up for a run and do all their packages, then they tear down and clean up the machines to be ready for the next run. If they did one package for me they'd have to do a complete tear down for me too, unless coincidentally they had been intending to do a full run of exactly what I asked for.

This is the big city. You don't get personal service in supermarkets. You have to go to a butcher if you expect to have anything done expressly just for you.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #38
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Greg,

One day I went to the deli department at my local grocery store to get cheese. I wanted a pound block of cheddar and a pound block of something else. The girl behind the counter could not figure out how to take 4-5 pounds blocks and get 1 pound out of it as the deli slicer wouldn't go that thick. I had to clue her into the new technology of a knife.

She cut a block and tossed it onto the scale. It was too small. She wanted to just add another chunk, I told her I wanted a pound block, not two small blocks. Over and over she whacked at the block, and every time she wasn't close.

She was throwing the cheese across the deli and muttering under her breath. Finally she got the two blocks cut (well, hacked) to the right size. As I was walking away she was picking cheese off the floor and telling someone else about how "that man just wasted all this cheese". Of course I didn't throw it, I didn't cut (hack) it too small.

I went to the front and talked to the store manager (the actual head guy, not someone who is a "manager"). He was nice, he was polite, he was apologetic, he told me they should be able to handle a request like this without worry (and they had in the past with a pound block of ham).

He then offered to buy my cheese for me. That was above what I expected, but I was kind enough to allow him to do this as it seemed to mean a lot to him.

In the end I cut the pound block into pieces (of the size and shape I wanted, mostly, it was tough with the hacked up shape) and cold smoked it.

You may wish to speak to someone with more authority and see what can be done. Sometimes the fella that has to do the work doesn't want to, and he will cite "rules" that really don't exist.*

*that was pretty long winded to get to that last bit.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

i asked for a hand cranked meat grinder with sausage attachment for christmas but i must have been on the naughty list. it was a really heavy duty cast metal one for only about $30, so i guess i'll be treating myself to a gift the next time i go to the hunting/fishing store where i saw it.

as far as grinding my own beef for burgers, i think i'm going to do a shabu shabu thing (dipping in boiling water) before grinding to help make it safer for my family to eat rare. i'm not sure if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

oh yeah, besides gristle, i've seen pieces of veins in fast food burgers. yuk.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef