Horrible cook with picky 2-yo. Need major help please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With five kids I though I’ve seen everything. Neah…
My number 4 will not eat for days; she has gone for 3 days on water only, unless you give her what she likes. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, bowl of cereal will do, but she will not touch most elaborate meal you can imagine making if this isn’t what she likes. For example she likes noodles. So that’s easy you would think. Neah… she only eats elbow macaroni, and no matter what you do and how you try to explain to her that all noodles are very much the same, plain boiled, she will not eat any other kinds.
So don’t think that all kids are the same and will eat when they are hungry. I’ve made that mistake in the past. There are some that will NOT!
I do agree about not forcing the issue though.

Now for the original question. First take the “30 minutes meals” book and put into your recycling box or garbage, which ever is easier. Then I’d say start with 5 basic sauces. What are they called, mother sauces? I don’t think I would be able to explain better than some decent cook book, so I recommend looking it up on the internet or in the book store.
Since you haven’t figure out what it is that you kid wants all it will take are 5 tries.

I agree with that...i have a cousin who is on medication to increase his appetite because if he doesn't like it he just won't eat. He doesn't beef, he only wants pancake and sausages EVERY MORNING for breakfast and if he goes to school and the school lunch they serve is not something he likes he just won't eat. My aunt was unaware of this until recently. some kids are strong willed and have no idea what's good for them...so I think you have to find a balance. Don't force feed them, but don't let them walk around without eating either. Try to compromise. As a child I wouldn't eat alot of veggies so my mom gave me fruit instead. Kids love ketchup, also try ranch and honey mustard....kids like to dip things...:)

Get yourself a good Chinese cookbook. I suggest one of Martin Yan's cookbooks. Most Chinese food has some kind of sauce associated with it, and they have a pretty good balance of meat to vegetables.

It's not your book, Charlie, you don't have to read it - besides, it's not a book on tape :-p

Thank G-d it is not my book. If i had to learn how to cook from RR, I'd be still eating in McDonalds, oh, wait I hate McDonalds. Thank G-d I know how to cook. ;)

Cluelessbutterfly, try looking up a recipe book called Cooking for the Rushed. It has lots of variety and lots of "saucy" things that your daughter will like. My kids love nearly everything I've tried out of there (my husband too). Now be warned, its not gourmet cuisine, its just down home cooking made easy.

Posted the link for you. I have the blue one and the yellow one. The yellow one is AWESOME and the recipes can be done in the house instead of outside too.

Last edited:
I was pressed for time the other night and I was making a steak dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies. I bought a bernaise sauce (powder in a packet that had to be mixed) by knorr and it was surprisingly good. You could put the sauce on chicken and veggies for a nice meal.

a simple Thai peanut sauce is made with chicken broth and peanut butter plus a little lime juice if you like. Hot pepper optional. Great on chicken beef pork seafood.

Welsh rarebit is a cheese sauce and is easily available in the freezer section made by Stauffers. Great on fish, chicken, veggies, or just toast.

Stews make their own gravy. Flour the meat pieces (red meat or chicken) and brown in butter or oil. Add vegies to pot, add broth, maybe a little wine, deglaze pan bottom (scrape up the bits) put on lid and cook in the oven for and hour (chicken) or two (beef) THe gravy should be thick enough from the flour and browning already. Season to taste with s & p. (herbs: Thyme for beef or pork, tarragon for chicken)

There are many bottled sauces gravies etc and several packages by McCormick or Knorr that will do also.

It is 3 days later and have yet to hear back from "cluelessbutterfly" about all these ideas. What's up with that?

Clueless, what say you?

If she is a harried first time Mom with a 2 yo I figure she MIGHT have enough time to read her email and keep up with the posts let alone try to reaspond back. ;)

My kids would drown just about anything in ketchup when they were little. Cheese sauce was another staple at home to make something they wouldn't eat into something they would. At 2 yrs old, there are not a lot of dietary restrictions so start making food that YOU want and get this child tasting different things. It is typical of toddlers to fixate on one food for a long period of time like only wanting peanut butter and jelly or mac'n'cheese. I always made my kids take at least one bite of something new when it was offered. If they didn't like it fine but atleast they had tasted it first before rejecting it.

when i was growing up the rule was: one bite of everything on the table. every meal. we never argued or complained , never would have occured to us. i think that was the reason i like such a wide range of food. my dad was a bit of a health nut even 45 years ago. i remember we had fish for dinner which most people then did not.

same rule with my kids. same result. it is important to be ready with rules that make sense. one bite of anything is not going to kill a child. be aware they might gag, etc. to prove their point, ingore them. (i know easier said than done)

babe:dry::dry:

Thanks you all so much for all the suggestions!!!!

I got a PM from another member about the campbell website, and it is amazing!

I just made lunch, my 2 year old girl is taking a nap right now, so she has not tried my lunch today.

I work nights- so it takes me a while to get to my 'online life'.

anyways, I am so excited, I got the recipe from that site, and it's called 'Crispy Chicken with Asparagus Sauce' . I tried it and to me it's delicious.

I followed everything word by word, except for the oil & water, I added a little more because the first 2 pieces of chicken did not come out so good.

Finally, I find out that to make crispy chicken it takes more oil than 2 table spoons! LOL

It's a good recipe, and easy to make for an amateur cook like me. but little by little I learn.

I know how to save lives, I am an RN- I know how to start an IV, but to cook I am totally clueless- and it didn't help that I didn't have brothers and sisters growing up, so my mom did everything for me--- and I lived with her until I got married! go figure!

a simple Thai peanut sauce is made with chicken broth and peanut butter plus a little lime juice if you like. Hot pepper optional. Great on chicken beef pork seafood.

Welsh rarebit is a cheese sauce and is easily available in the freezer section made by Stauffers. Great on fish, chicken, veggies, or just toast.

Stews make their own gravy. Flour the meat pieces (red meat or chicken) and brown in butter or oil. Add vegies to pot, add broth, maybe a little wine, deglaze pan bottom (scrape up the bits) put on lid and cook in the oven for and hour (chicken) or two (beef) THe gravy should be thick enough from the flour and browning already. Season to taste with s & p. (herbs: Thyme for beef or pork, tarragon for chicken)

There are many bottled sauces gravies etc and several packages by McCormick or Knorr that will do also.

everything you wrote sounds great! now just how much of everything- I am guessing I have to estimate how much right?

thanks!

The more you cook, clueless, the easier it will get, and you will acquire a "feel" for what is needed. If you can mix up an IV solution, you can do this. And if you do it wrong, nobody is going to die! The only magic ingredient for learning to cook is the desire to learn and you have that. Don't give up!

Thanks again guys!

I will definitely keep trying again and again- and definitely get to trying the new flavors.

cooking is so important! I wish I would of found this site sooner!

yeah, when I took my daughter who was in the 90% zone for weight I didn't get a lot of sympathy for why she didn't eat......I guess it was my perception......Doc Mac said that she was inhaling it out of the air.....what a great guy and he believed in teething causing ear infections..........

Back
Top Bottom