How Much Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJK

Cook
Am planning a party for July 4. Have about a 100 people coming. I am going to BBQ pork. How much do you think I should buy? 30 lbs? 50 lbs? Also will have other food there but BBQ is going to be the highlight. :chef:

how much are you looking for everyone to eat
I would say around 8 ounces per person which is a half pound

To allow for shrinkage I would get at least 65 to 75 lbs.

I am assuming that other than a few hot dogs this will be the meat you are offering. You know your crowd though, you may need more.

Our daughter just had an 8th grade graduation party for her daughter, and 40-50 people were there. She had about 20 lbs of pork and 50 pieces of fried chicken, plus potato salad and other dishes.
Are you talking raw pork that you will cook yourself or already BBQ'd pork?
With raw pork, you can count on about 40% shrinkage, so Liz is pretty close at 75 lbs.
Kim figures on 1/3 to half a lb of cooked pork per person. If you have any left over, it freezes great in ziplock bags.
If I were you, I would also have 6-8 pkgs of hot dogs and buns on hand, too.

It will be pulled pork that I will BBQ the day before, starting at 4 in the morning to be done on time. I will also have fried chicken, kielbassa and plenty of sides. I am thinking fresh hams are probably the thing to cook. Just trying tro get some ideas. Thanks for all the help.

Boston butt is the first choice for pulled pork. Hams are a reasonable second choice.

A cooked Boston butt will weigh about a third less than the uncooked weight. Since you are offering several other proteins, I'd figure one 4 ounce sandwich per person. Four people per pound of cooked meat.

Keep in mind that some will not eat any pork at all.

4 oz. serving X 100 people = 400 oz. ~ 16 oz. per Lb. = 25 lbs. cooked/useable meat. Allowing a 40% Shrink (water/bone/fat/stuff) after cooking you will need approximately 45 Lbs (pre-cooked weight) of Boston Butts...Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 Butts weighing in the 8 lb + range each....At my house I would have to bump it up to at least 60 lbs pre-cooked ---(36 lbs cooked weight) or about 3 Servings per pound instead of 4. If you are able to secure "fresh" hams I would cook 1/2 Fresh Hams...1/2 Boston Butts...mix the two after pulling and before serving...Pulled pork freezes well so don't be afraid to over estimate your needs for the party...Ya don't wanna run out of pulled pork on July 4th....:ermm:

DH agrees with you, Bob. You two would probably cook well together.

Let's see...Kim and Bob stew...I dunno...maybe a little garlic and onions would help the flavor. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom