How much rice do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even with the smallest one, I wouldn't know where to put it when not in use.
I've got so many small appliances that I ran out of room to store them.

I did however, buy a SS rice spoon the other day from the local supermarket.

~Corey123.

Don't know. I guess it all depends on your own personal preferences.

I imagine also, that they are now available in stainless steel, plastic (nylon) and wood.

Oh. The bowl part of the spoon is supposed to be a bit wider, I guess. I DID notice that.

Asian restaurants use these, mainly for scooping large amounts of cooked rice from their large rice cookers.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Well, cookingSoul - I'm going to guess that you are in the Culinary Arts program at West Boca Raton High School? Am I close?

Before you write all of us off as being incapable of grasping the situation, much less that oz = ounce - here is the problem: the final weight of a cup of cooked rice will depend on the yield of the dry rice and the amount of water used (dry rice + water + heat + time = cooked rice). Since dry rice absorbs water - the weight of the cooked rice will increase (unless you have another explanation for it).

You have chided those who have tried to help you for stating that some "assumptions" must be made, or that there might be some information you have not given us to work with (perhaps information from a lecture in class that was not included in the book question).

The most obvious are:

1. Weight of water - are you using the old saw of, "A pint's a Pound the World Around" - or are you using the actual weight, 16.69 oz (oz = ounces if you didn't know what oz stands for).

2. Yield - what is the ratio of raw rice + water = volume of cooked rice. Raw rice can be cooked with 1 cup rice +1.5 - 2 cups water. Obviously, the more water the rice absorbs the more it will weigh.

Maybe those of us who have actually been cooking for some years are "over thinking" the problem. I'm sure we would all love to know not only the answer but also how to solve this problem.

ok well i got the answer from chef and yes andy was very much correct....your first statement....ty for the help​

sure np...the chef ****ed with my head and made it sound tougher then it actually was :( ah well...the whole 2 cups water 1 cup rice equaling 3 cups per or w/e....eh im gone for now..ty again for the help

Back
Top Bottom