I Can't Believe I Lived Without.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good set of quality knives I have, and I always sharpen them before each use.

Disposals are a good thing in the city as they reduce the amount of garbage that goes into the alleys. That is where the rats are, and that is where the rat problem is, not the sewers. When you have no room to compost because you are in a condo or on a city lot with no space well disposals are a great way to reduce the amount of garbage you send out.
All our waters and sewage are treated, cleaned, redirected, etc out here by the Water Reclamation District. All that stuff you send down the garbage disposal helps them in their process and is better for the environment than just sending it out in plastic bags to sit in a landfill for a couple thousand years...

I love my appliances - my food processor, my stand mixer and my Foodsaver. I'm not sure what I'd do without electricity!

my KA mixer definately! Then I would have to say my electric lemon juicer, and I'll go with GB on sharp knives.

No disposal for me...I'm on a septic system. But I have mounted a disposal on a deep utility sink outside for cleaning fish, and all the organic kitchen waste ended up going down it, to be turned into compost.

my KA mixer definately!-deelady

You bet! I got to run my N-50 yesterday...always a treat, during and after. That thing is awesome.

I have never even heard of this before, or heard of it happening to anyone around here. However, the alleys are lined with rat traps, and any garbage cans that are not in good shape are immediately taken away and replaced with new ones. Also they ask that in some cases you put bricks on top of the plastic garbage cans and if the rats have chewed into the garbage can you should call the town to have it replaced. Also, if they go thru the alley and find the lid on your garbage can is not properly closed you will be ticketed. This is all because of the rats in the alleys, not the sewers.
A lot of those references were news stories, not a source I completely trust and lord knows they love to sensationalize to get more viewers. Not saying this might not be the case in their areas, but here I can definitely say the problem is not sewer rats trying to get up thru the grates in the drains, past the flood valves, or into other parts of the homes plumbing here in Chicago. Instead here they are entering the alleys to get at the garbage, and instead of returning to the sewers they are staying under houses, foundations, in garages, etc.
For us the problem is in the alleys, and as we say here enter at your own risk! It has been a long time since I have seen an alley that isn't posted for rats or has rat traps up and down it. Another big problem here is all the former warehouses that are being developed and turned into condos. They are full of rats, and they have to go somewhere. The big surprise many people are getting is that it turns out they aren't going anywhere, just staying put! Imagine buying a brand new $250,000 condo only to find rats there!

“The only thing new in this world is the history that you don't know”. Harry S Truman

LOL my point was that what makes it into the news here is when camera crews follow alley inspectors around to see what they do all day, or pieces on how they tore down all the factories on the north side of Cicero so the rats wouldn't have a refuge to hide in, but now they have all taken up residents in our alleys so nice job guys in shooting yourselves in the foot, LOL.
I have not seen one concerning rats and garbage disposals, but then I am not gonna count out the Harry Truman factor either ;)

It feels kind of stupid to say it, with all the lovely appliances we have these days, but number one would be what others have said, good quality sharp knives. Honestly even the TV guy's (Ron Popiel? Something like that) knives (which I've owned in the past, and you could do worse) are better than the knives I've dealt with in friends' and loved ones' homes when I help out in the kitchen.

I think my immersion blender would be #2, though.

I think it would be interesting to ask everyone who has responded: How often do you use this? In my case, the good knives every day, several times a day. The immersion blender several times a week.

I couldn't live without my Santoku knives. I prefer them over the chef's knives any day of the week. I am also pretty partial to my microplanes, too.

I don't have Alleys or open sewers here, but then I don't have a disposal either.

My mini chopper and silicone spatulas and cast iron I could live without, but they do make life easier. And you can't count on having electricity all the time, especially during rainy-which is lightning season, so I try to use manual tools when possible.

I thought all those alligators reported to be in the sewers were killing off all those sewer rats. :LOL:

I find a garbage disposal far better than people stuff large chunks of food down their drains, which I believe is one of the reasons why they were invented. Personally I prefer all my food stuffs to feed the worms in my compost bin.

For us the problem is in the alleys, and as we say here enter at your own risk! It has been a long time since I have seen an alley that isn't posted for rats or has rat traps up and down it. Another big problem here is all the former warehouses that are being developed and turned into condos. They are full of rats, and they have to go somewhere. The big surprise many people are getting is that it turns out they aren't going anywhere, just staying put! Imagine buying a brand new $250,000 condo only to find rats there!

LOL! This sound familiar. My neigborhood is full of loft conversions... one is part of a complex that is still an active produce warehouse...

This is why I have a cat

believe it or not... I have never seen a rat.

We live in a stick-built single family dwelling on a 120' x 120' lot in a small town (about 12,000 population) and have an alley in back, with dumpsters and 2x weekly trash pickup. We are on the city water and sewer system. We've lived here for 30 years. I did have a problem once with an escapee gerbil who wrecked havoc in my kitchen cabinets till we caught him (LOL) but that's the only rodent I've ever seen anywhere around my house. The rat stories are interesting!

Back to the topic - I use my counterspace and my pots 'n pans every day. I wish I'd been smarter when we redesigned/remodeled my kitchen 25 years ago - I'd have put more counterspace on the island, which is where my Jennaire cooktop is. I really would like for it to be a bit bigger than just enough to hold a spoon. :)

stick-blender.

Alright, I feel kinda foolish ... my hubby got me one of these last Christmas. It's a really good one. I find myself forgetting to use it. I would love to reach for it several times a week ... what are you guys using it on besides soups? I tried ice cream and thought the blender did a better job on shakes and smoothies. What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom