"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Different olives, smoked salmon, pickled artichokes, balsamic and other vinegars, kippers, pine nuts, anchovy paste, oriental and Thai products like oyster sauce. Would love to shop there! What fun!
see, i could take all these mouth-watering delicacies of yours, add to them the best items from the yucky food thread, (i.e. escargot, blood sausage, head cheese, smelts, tripe, caviar, brussel sprouts...) and happily be on my way>>>>

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

see, i could take all these mouth-watering delicacies of yours, add to them the best items from the yucky food thread, (i.e. escargot, blood sausage, head cheese, smelts, tripe, caviar, brussel sprouts...) and happily be on my way>>>>
ROFL!!! Please feel free to buy up extra escargot and caviar! Put in box with label, mail to me!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
a Variety of dried mushrooms, fruits, and nuts.
yess, i had visions of soft velvety sweet/sourish apricots, plump round hazelnuts with their oily centers, and almonds too, but they were all sold out. i did find some enticing-looking chilean baby wild pears--round little cream colored gems floating in tall clear glass jars. also, a nice array of dried gourmet mushrooms i'm glad to have. the rest will have to wait for another time, and i hope it's soon, especially the apricots....
Old 06-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Executive Chef

OMG the aged cheeses at whole foods are what I would love to catch on sale! I bet they will go fast! They sure are good, but so much money.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
OMG the aged cheeses at whole foods are what I would love to catch on sale! I bet they will go fast! They sure are good, but so much money.
cheese, oh yes indeed - my biggest coup at wf! got me some parmigiano reggiano, two wedges for six dollars! the cheeses were irresistible, and i wanted to buy 20 different kinds - never mind that even with the labels i had no idea what most of them were. my most prized cheese purchase though was this brie-like, soft, ripened cheese called robiola due latti - utterly heaven, this cheese! it had me sitting with some crackers and a wooden cheeseboard and cuts of other delish cheeses, (including a fab cheddar and port salut) and my mother goose jelly jar of pinot grigio, and let me tell you it was nirvana to the uber nth!! this robiola!! with the wine, so diviiine!! and as i sat savoring this sublime creamy goddess of a cheese, i made a promise to myself to never deny its wonders (on occasion) again - even at $24.00 per 500 grams. and no, that's not the white wine talking - i just had to share w/another cheese lover.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
cheese, oh yes indeed - my biggest coup at wf! got me some parmigiano reggiano, two wedges for six dollars! the cheeses were irresistible, and i wanted to buy 20 different kinds - never mind that even with the labels i had no idea what most of them were. my most prized cheese purchase though was this brie-like, soft, ripened cheese called robiola due latti - utterly heaven, this cheese! it had me sitting with some crackers and a wooden cheeseboard and cuts of other delish cheeses, (including a fab cheddar and port salut) and my mother goose jelly jar of pinot grigio, and let me tell you it was nirvana to the uber nth!! this robiola!! with the wine, so diviiine!! and as i sat savoring this sublime creamy goddess of a cheese, i made a promise to myself to never deny its wonders (on occasion) again - even at $24.00 per 500 grams. and no, that's not the white wine talking - i just had to share w/another cheese lover.
Shrek won't let me near the cheese counter.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek won't let me near the cheese counter.
who is your shrek? can he be pacified? neutralized?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
who is your shrek? can he be pacified? neutralized?
I can outrun him...no problem and he, too, is susceptible to cheese. Especially dill havarti.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
Head Chef

Their cheese would be my weakness too. I can't ever go there without buying 2-3 cheeses and a couple of bottles of wine.

I currently have a bleu 'd Auvergne, Telaggio, and Fromager D'Affinois in my fridge from a few days ago.

And a really spectacular Port in my cupboard.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Sometimes if I drove the hour north to my dads to see him we go to this store there that has got so much darn cheese. They even have samples all over the place!

We try every kind and then buy tons of it and invite my siblings and our children and do a fruit, cheese, bread and cracker sampler. Actually sometimes it is our dinner.

I have personally spent over 100 in cheese in the past lol I like to have these tastings in Oct with Concord grapes after we pick them ourselves. If you ever get a chance try Chocolate Cheese. Michigan State University Dairy Store - Chocolate Cheese