"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Help - Meatloaf

I'm new to DC and not quite sure how to ask a question, but here goes: Meatloaf is one of my favorite dishes, but my meatloaf will not hold together well for slicing. It has good flavor but it's eaten in chunks. Do I use more egg, or should I bake it longer? Right now, I use about 2 eggs for a 2-pound loaf, baked at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Doing for a full hour has resulted in a dry meatloaf.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
I'm new to DC and not quite sure how to ask a question, but here goes: Meatloaf is one of my favorite dishes, but my meatloaf will not hold together well for slicing. It has good flavor but it's eaten in chunks. Do I use more egg, or should I bake it longer? Right now, I use about 2 eggs for a 2-pound loaf, baked at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Doing for a full hour has resulted in a dry meatloaf.
Welcome to DC. I am sure someone will come along with an answer to your problem with meatloaf.

I am the last person to help you. My kids have threatened me that they will put me in a home if I ever make meatloaf again.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Hi Coffeecup, and welcome.

Do you add any bread crumbs, crushed saltines, or oatmeal to your meatloaf mix? That helps act as a binder and holds the meatloaf together a little better. I use about 1/2 -3/4 cup of some kind of grain for 2 lbs of meatloaf. I usually use a loaf pan for the meatloaf just to form it and pack it, then take it out and put it in a larger roasting pan. It has a chance to brown all the way around that way and doesn't sit in so much grease from the baking process.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! That seems to be a common question when it comes to making meatloaf. Here are links to some previous discussions about meatloaf.

My meatloaf dilemma....
Give us your meatball recipes
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe
Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Soak the fresh breadcrumbs in just enough whole milk to be absorbed. You do not want to have to squeeze out any excess milk. Let the bread/milk sit in the fridge for a hour or so.
Into food processor. Add a couple of eggs. Add any herbs/etc you want. I season with a good amount of pepper and salt at this point. Pulse a couple of times to mix. Add the ground meat. I use a combination of pork/beef/veal. I always add in a couple of T's of clarified butter to the meat and gently mix.
Quick pulse just until the ingredients are mixed.
Into the meat loaf tin.
Into a preheated 200 F oven. YES 200 F. Uncovered until the internal temp. reaches about 155 F. Remove from oven. Crank up the oven to screaming hot. Meatloaf back into oven. Watch as the surface turns a nice brown. This won't take long so watch it through the oven door with the light on. Remove/tent/rest for at least an hour.
If I want to cover the top with tomato sauce or whatever I do it after the meatloaf leaves the oven.
I use this roasting method for any roasting. Beef or birds. Very low and slow is the key to keeping any protein strands from contracting and thereby squeezing out moisture.
That's the reason to 'rest' any roasted meats. To give the protein strands a chance to relax and absorb moisture.
If you don't allow the strands to contract in the first place the results are even juicier.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

Ms. Mofet's Meatloaf

3 lbs. Ground beef
1 pkg/pouch Onion soup mix
1/2 Green Bell pepper - diced small
1/2 Red Bell pepper - diced small
2 - 3 Fresh button mushrooms - chopped small
1/2 - 1 cup extra sharp Cheddar cheese - small dice or shredded
1 Egg
1 - 2 TBSP Ketchup or to taste
1 - 2 TBSP Mustard or to taste
1 - 2 dashes Hot sauce or to taste
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. Dry porcini mushrooms - ground - optional
Rolled Oats - uncooked - enough to make meat hold/bind together
Mix all ingredients well. Divide in half and form into 2 loaf shapes. Place on a broiler pan (with grate). Bake in 350°F oven for 30 - 45 minutes or till internal temperature is 165°F.

Variations: May add cooked crumbled bacon to meat.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Executive Chef

LOWCARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

1pound 90% ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cupoatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celerystalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbsoregano
½ cup tomato sauce
2 Tbs olive oil

Sautéonion, bell pepper, and celery in 2 Tbs olive oil until soft. Addgarlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Addtomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes then allow tocool. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkeybreast, oatmeal, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add sauceto bowl and combine. Pat tightly into Pyrex loaf pan with a papertowel in bottom. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs perserving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g
Old 03-14-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Meatloaf problems

Thankyou all for your suggestions and recipes. I think much of my problem is that while I use crumbs, I have not been using enough crumbs. I will follow your recommendations, and maybe my grandchildren will eat my meatloaf!
Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Thankyou all for your suggestions and recipes. I think much of my problem is that while I use crumbs, I have not been using enough crumbs. I will follow your recommendations, and maybe my grandchildren will eat my meatloaf!
For practice, make your meatloaf mixture into meatballs. They are essentially the same thing, but with slightly different taste profiles. When you have that perfect texture in your meatball, you can use the same ratios of beef, pork, breadcrumbs, and chopped veggies in your meatloaf.

\Making meatballs allows you to start with your basic recipe, then adjust it, making a single meatball after each adjustment until you have the texture and flavor you are aiming for.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Ms. Mofet's Meatloaf
Oh my goodness, that looks amazing!! I love a good loaded meatloaf!