ISO: recipes with saffron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrémeBrulée

Assistant Cook
I have some saffron that's about to expire. I would like to use it up as soon as I can, but want to try something new (there are limits to how much saffron rice one can eat). If you have any good recipes with saffron, please post them. I would especially like to try baking with saffron, as I have always just used it to prepare stuff like stews, rice, and paella.

Cornish saffron cake

A recipe from Cornwall. This cake is a matter of great pride to Cornish women - there is always rivalry at local events to bake the best Cornish pasty and the best saffron cake!

1 lb plain flour
6 oz butter, margarine or lard
6oz sugar
6oz currants and sultanas mixed
1½oz of mixed, diced, candied peel (lemon or orange)
Good pinch of salt
1oz yeast or 1 sachet of dried yeast
Good pinch saffron
warm milk and water to mix

Method
Overnight put saffron to infuse by snipping the strands and cover with ½ cup of boiling water and a small pinch of salt. Cover with a saucer. Put yeast into cup with a teaspoon of sugar and add ½cup of warm milk and water - not too hot but more than tepid so as not to kill the yeast. Rub fat into the flour then add sugar and mix together. When the yeast has risen in the cup, make a pit in the centre of the flour and sugar mix and pour in the yeast, covering with a sprinkle of flour (this keeps the temperature constant). When this cracks and the yeast sponges through, warm the previously steeped saffron mixture a little and add together with fruit and peel and start combining all the ingredients together adding extra liquid as you go until the whole thing makes a soft dough without being too sticky. Cover this with a clean tea-towel and leave in a warm (not too hot) place to rise. This takes between 30-45 minutes. Put into greased loaf tins, cover and leave to rise again until the mixture is level with the top of the tin. Bake in a moderate oven180C for ¾-1 hour. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Saffron risotto!!! Or make a big pan of Spanish paella. But as you mentioed that you are quite tired of rice it is also lovely in a cream sauce for pasta, in soups, or even with fish (red snapper is nice with it).

Last edited:
Here's a few more.

Bouillabaisse with Saffron and Leeks
Yields: 4 servings

¼ c (60 ml) olive oil
2 c (475 ml) mirepoix: 3 medium carrots, diced, 1 white onion, diced, 2 stalks celery, diced
1 leek
3 T garlic, chopped
2” fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
4 c (950 ml) chicken broth
1 c (225 ml) clam broth
1 c (225 ml) white wine
Saffron, a tiny pinch (available from Penzey's Spices)
2 T (30 ml) fresh chopped herbs, optional tarragon, chives, or thyme
2 – 3# mixed shellfish clams, mussels, prawns, crab legs and claws
1 – 2# mixed seafood scallops, salmon, squid, cod, halibut, etc., cut into 2 – 3 pieces

In a ten-quart pot, warm the olive oil and add the mirepoix (diced carrots, onion and celery). Sauté over medium-low heat until the vegetables are soft and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pull the leeks outer leaves apart slightly, and cut a ¼” groove down its length. Rinse the leek thoroughly, as sand tends to collect inside them.
Drain and slice leeks, discarding the green ends. Add the leek, garlic, and ginger to the olive oil and stir until delicately translucent. Taste the sautéed mixture and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken and clam broth, wine, two or three threads of saffron, and the herbs. Warm over medium heat until broth is hot but not simmering. Peel shrimp and carefully clean clams or mussels, discarding any that are not closed tightly.
Scrub away sand and beards. Add clams or mussels first and bring the bouillabaisse to a boil, watching carefully, for about 5 minutes, until they pop open. Discard any bivalves that do not open. Turn the heat down to low, add the mixed seafood and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.

Mussels with Leeks, Saffron, and Cream

Serve this flavorful saffron-scented dish as either an appetizer or a main course.

2 T (¼ stick) butter
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
4 dozen mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
1 c dry white wine
8 fresh parsley sprigs
10 saffron threads, crushed
½ c whipping cream
2 T minced fresh parsley

Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Combine mussels, wine and parsley sprigs in large Dutch oven. Cover and cook over high heat until mussels open, about 6 minutes. Using tongs, transfer mussels to large bowl, discarding any that do not open. Strain mussel juices into skillet containing leeks. Add saffron and cream to skillet; boil until reduced to sauce consistency, about 2 minutes. Stir in minced parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Add mussels and any accumulated juices to skillet. Stir over medium heat until heated through, about 2 minutes. Divide mussels among 4 bowls; pour sauce over.

Pasta with Crab and Peas in Saffron Broth

1 # wide pasta
2 T chopped shallot
2 c chicken stock
1# fresh peas
½ # crabmeat
2 T butter
Generous pinch saffron
½ t red pepper flakes
Fine dice red pepper or fine julienne carrot for garnish

Cook pasta per directions. In large shallow pan, simmer stock with shallot, saffron and red pepper flakes for several minutes until the saffron colors the liquid. Add peas and simmer for 1 minute. Add pasta and heat through; toss in crabmeat and butter; season with salt and pepper; garnish as desired.

CrémeBrulée said:
Ishbel, that sounds tempting. Does it freeze well?

I honestly have no idea - I have never eaten it except in Cornwall, and it doesn't last long enough with my gannets to freeze anything!:)

Back
Top Bottom