I've Never Cooked with Sherry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
Please tell me about it...where do you buy it? can wine be a substitute? what do you think it "adds" to the recipe? Thank you all so much!

When you add it to a recipe i.e., country style ribs marinated in soy sauce, water, dry sherry, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, spring onions, sesame seeds you will hone in on it and say...."Oh, I know that taste"! The flavor is in pate, fondue, chicken/mushroom recipes, etc. It adds another layer of flavor and is kind of sweet without being too sweet.

Where to buy it? It depends on if your grocery stores sell wine - it is usually near the Port wine. If your grocery stores don't sell it you will need to go to a liquor store.

Here is one of many recipes using it.

Chinese Five-Spice Grilled Chicken Recipe

1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 cut-up (8 pieces) chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), skin removed from
all but wings if you like
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

1. In large bowl, stir sherry, sesame oil, five-spice powder, and
ground red pepper.
2. Add chicken to spice mixture and toss until evenly coated. Cover
bowl and let stand 15 minutes at room temperature, turning chicken
occasionally.

3. Prepare charcoal fire or preheat gas grill for covered direct
grilling over medium heat.

4. Place chicken on hot grill rack. Cover grill and cook chicken 20
to 25 minutes or until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken
is pierced with tip of knife, turning pieces over once and removing
pieces to platter as they are done.

5. In small bowl, mix hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Brush hoisin-sauce
mixture all over chicken and return to grill. Cook 4 to 5 minutes
longer or until glazed, turning once. Place chicken on same platter;
sprinkle with sesame seeds

Wines in general can act to release flavor components of certain foods that are only alcohol soluable flavors.

Also, while you can buy sherry in the supermarket in some states, STAY AWAY FROM COOKING SHERRY OR ANY OTHER COOKING WINE! Cooking wines, Holland House is a popular brand, are foul tasting and have salt and other additives in them.

Dry sherry is inexpensive, about $4-$5 per bottle, and will last a long time as it has been fortified withe additional alcohol.

It's also a very good substitute for Chinese cooking wine.

I like to marinate chicken in sherry (dry or cream) and parsley, then bake.

One thing to remember: NEVER, EVER (and I mean EVER!) use cooking sherry. It is pure salt.

:) Barbara
P.S. I hadn't noticed that Andy mentioned the cooking sherry already, but it can never be stressed enough!!!

Last edited:
Sherry really is about it's flavor. As Andy noted - the alcohol releases alcohol soluable flavors in the dish - but it also adds it's own distinctive flavors - brandy, herbs, spices, etc.
You should be able to find Sherry in most places like a grocery store that sell wine (unless the local laws restrict the max alcohol content to 12%). Otherwise - any liquor store that sells wine.

I'm not a big fan of substituting things in cookery recipes, since they will never taste exactly the same as the recipe, unless I really understand the flavor or the original ingredient and the flavor of what I'm using as a substitute. You didn't say what you were using the Sherry for - so this might be a good place to look. It lists several substitution options based on how it is being used.

I bought a bottle of Sherry from a liquor store and it has lasted me for months and it wasn't very expensive. Here are a few of the recipes I use it in.

Sherry Cherry Tomatoes (I usually put this ontop of chicken or fish)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9855&highlight=Sherry+Cherry+Tomatoes

Moroccan Braised Beef
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5806&highlight=Moroccan+Braised+Beef

Sherry Beef (This recipe might have come from DC, I didn't write it down if it did, please let me know if so, sorry)

3 lbs. lean beef stew, in small cubes
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 package lipton onion soup
1 lb. sliced white and crimini mushrooms
chopped onions
3/4 cup sherry

Cook 4 hours at 300 degrees in tightly covered pan. Serve on noodles.

Mu Shu Pork
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_1740,00.html

I've never cooked with sherry either, but have seen a lot of recipes that call for it, French Onion Soup for one.
I bought a bottle at the liquor store the other day, so first cool spell we have, I'll make onion soup.

I also peel and slice my fresh ginger and store it in a little jar covered with sherry - it will last a VERY long time - like for years. You can also use the sherry for extra flavoring in things that use ginger then just refill jar. It does not have to be refrigerated.

I mentioned using sherry with chicken. To keep from having to store the bottle, and since I don't drink it, I prepare a few packages of chicken (usually a couple whole chickens, and sometimes pieces) by pouring the sherry over the chicken in zippered freezer bags. I add some parsley, then I put it in the freezer (except for the one I'm eating that day--it goes in the refrigerator).

:) Barbara

KAYLINDA said:
Please tell me about it...where do you buy it? can wine be a substitute? what do you think it "adds" to the recipe? Thank you all so much!
Where do you buy it? --- I have spent 3 years near Jerez Spain in the early half of the 90s, Sherry was every where because the region (southern Andalucia) was the world's biggest sherry producer!
Personally I also substitute it with Marsala usually and I actually prefer it this way, and in many recipes white wine will be a sufficient substitue. But it is true that sherry has a rather particular flavour and I bet the Andalucians wouldn't agree with me!

CHARLESTON SHE-CRAB SOUP

1 small onion, minced
4 tablespoons butter
1 pound crabmeat (about 12 crabs)
1 quart milk
2 cups light cream
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup orange crab roe*
Rind of 1 lemon, grated

Sauté onion gently in the butter, add crabmeat, and set aside. Heat milk and cream in the top of a double boiler, add crab meat and onion, seasonings, and sherry. Cover, and let steep over very low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.

Beat the egg yolks, pour a little of the hot liquid into them, and then stir the yolk mixture slowly into the soup. Put a spoonful of roe in each soup bowl, ladle in the soup, and sprinkle the top with grated lemon rind.

Serves 4 to 6.

*It’s sorta kinda illegal to use the roe anymore, so you can just leave it out. But this is the origin of the name of the soup.

Marmalady - I LOVE she crab soup and I love to put a tablespoon or so in each bowl when I serve it. I must be hungry - everything I have read today I've wanted to make!!!

Once you've opened the bottle of sherry..........do you store it in your pantry or in the fridge? I've never cooked with it either but will very soon...........thanks for the recipes.

Back
Top Bottom