"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
You can plant different herbs together, but try to keep ones that have the same requirements.

For instance, parsley & basil like moister soil than thyme & rosemary, which prefer dryer conditions & will rot if given too much water.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that different herbs had different requirements. So, perfect! I'll plant them as you suggested. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

You're welcome!!

One easy way to try grouping herbs is (besides reading up on them) to examine mature versions.

Herbs with relatively "woody" stems when mature, like most thymes, rosemary, certain sages, etc., tend to prefer dryer conditions. Herbs with softer, greener-stemmed growth when mature (basil, parsley, cilantro, etc.) tend to prefer moister soil.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Executive Chef

If you pinch your basil it will get really big and bushy.The bigger it gets the more water it needs.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Breezy has it right on the needs. But you would enjoy having a BIG pot of each eventually, with the summer months coming.
You will trim parsley more often and in greater amounts. Basil will want to be picked off to encourage branching. Thyme will be a low crawling style plant.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I'm in somewhat of the same situation as elf. I have a huge spruce in my yard that blocks most of the sun. I wound up buying a few of those planters that hang off the railing on your deck from Lowes and use those for my herbs and chili peppers. Down below in the yard I have a small space about 5' x 7' that I planted veggies. This year the tree is coming down.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Senior Cook

MY GOSH what a beautiful yard! Unfortunately (or really not), I have 3 dogs (2 huskies & 1 spaniel). The back yard is THEIRS!

I do have a couple of areas in the front that I could possibly start a nice herb garden. It gets direct sunlight though & I'm not really an avid gardner, but would like to have a nice garden. Can I say garden a few more times?

So any advice about starting a front yard herb garden with a few flowers thrown in, I would gladly take it! That will be my project this year!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

My herbs are pretty much all in one location (with the mint isolated). They don't require a lot of love & attention, and I sure miss them in the winter. The chives are always the first to come back in the spring (already have a plentiful supply). I do bring in my rosemary bush every fall (it can go back out soon). I, too, once had a potted bay tree, but it died a couple of years ago and I have not found a plant to replace it. At one time I also had a kaffir lime tree. I'm about to use the last of the bay leaves I dried from that old tree! Some day I'd love to find replacement trees for those two. Mint, sage, and lemon balm are starting to come back as well. I bought one of those little peat-pot greenhouses and have started most herbs plus a kind of pepper I cannot get around here (poblanos).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Here's something that helps me out in the kitchen. To keep leafy herbs fresh as long as possible, trim the stem ends with kitchen shears and place in a vase of water.
I hear this is the best way to keep asparagus fresh as well.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

My herbs are outside in my herb garden also. I've never been able to grow them inside. They just don't get enough sun. I get a rosemary tree at Christmas and I always believe it will live until Spring, but it never happens.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
I get a rosemary tree at Christmas and I always believe it will live until Spring, but it never happens.
I keep my potted rosemary plant alive by taking it inside every fall and watering it at least twice a week until it's warm enough to put it back out in the spring. I've had the same plant for 4 years now.

After years of keeping my parsley in a glass of water in the fridge, and knocking it over constantly, I took Coco's advice and have been keeping it in a glass on the window sill over my sink. Keeps nicely for a week!

Also, when I do that with my garden-grown basil, it actually grows water roots and keeps for weeks and weeks, until I've used it all!

Lee