"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
not bad for an ex-drunk. :D

Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
8)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:37 AM   #13
Master Chef

Depends on how kosher is used ....
Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

hi everyone! just popped in for a second. hope everyone's having a good week so far. i'm really worried about luv's. hope she's ok.

just remember, that the things that cannot be served together or not at all in a kosher house cannot be prepared and served on the came cutting boards and dishes either.

so making diced ham for the omelet is a no no on the same cutting board as the rest of the kosher stuff...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #15
Head Chef

Hey, bucky! Good to see you! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

PS: Bug's found a cake with your name on it down in Desserts...another jewel from Rainee...
Old 11-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
just remember, that the things that cannot be served together or not at all in a kosher house cannot be prepared and served on the came cutting boards and dishes either.

so making diced ham for the omelet is a no no on the same cutting board as the rest of the kosher stuff...
While this is true, there are variations in how strict people keep kosher. There are degrees with everything. If someone were to keep completely kosher according to the Torah then in todays world they would probably have to grow and make most of their own food. What most people do is do the best they can. I have a Rabbi friend who decided that she will still eat at friends houses who do not keep kosher, but she will only eat foods that are kosher, so even though she is eating a salad off a plate that had bacon on it that morning she is OK with that. She feels that it is more important to try to do your best without completely isolating yourself from everyone else. Most people who keep kosher these days know that unless it is a kosher kitchen, that what they eat might not fit the strictest interpretation of the kosher laws, and they make their own decisions that that is OK for them.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
One would think that doing Gods work, helping others and staying close to the Lord is what matters. Not thinking about what food is on the darn cutting board. :? In my opinion doing drugs, drinking, smoking and heck even watching to much TV is more important than worrying about bacon being on the same plate as a salad. :roll:
BUT..... Im Christian, not Jewish.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Sushi, part of the reason is that by keeping kosher you are forced to stop and think about things before you eat. People who keep kosher think of G-d before every meal and think of their religion before every meal. That is part of how they stay close to G-d. It is not so much about the actual rules (those in and of itself are somewhat arbitrary), but more about G-d saying this is how it is and I want you to make a decision to believe me and follow what I say. My wife and I tried keeping kosher for a short while to see what it would be like. It really did make us think of our religion every single time we put something in our mouths.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:57 PM   #19
Sous Chef

GB, I've heard of some strict families who adhere to the rules actually have two kitchens in their homes! One for cooking certain things and the other for other things.

Two complete kitchens so the two groups of foods don't mix.

One question. Why does the rabbi have to be in a commercial kitchen and be the one who oversees everything to the point that the rabbi is the only person who can even turn on the burners?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah some of the people who are strict about it do have two kitchens, or have two of everything in their kitchen. Two ovens, two fridges, two dishwashers, two sinks, etc. One is for meat and the other is for dairy. Not everyone can afford to do that so some people just opt to have two sets of dishes and silverware. You would not put the meat dishes in the wash with the the dairy dishes.

I have not heard that one about the rabbi in a commercial kitchen. Perhaps they need to be the one to turn on the burners to ensure that fire was not created on the sabbath with would make something not kosher. I'm not sure about that one though,