"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

WOW - what a coincidence!

All I did was a websearch with 'jam recipes - no lemon juice... I think it was the second hit!!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
That's cool!!8-) The college(Clemson University)has a great agricultural department. They also have on on campus dairy that has wonderful cheese, ice cream & other dairy products. I need to take the kids to their store & get banana splits this summer. My parents used to take me all the time but I haven't gone in several years. They have really good bleu cheese too.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Sounds like my sort of place!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #14
Head Chef

I don't think the acid in freezer jams is meant to prevent "biotoxin bombs" (what a wonderful term!) but you may end up with freezer syrup instead!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #15
Master Chef

Certo will not work without acid. Sometimes the fruit or vegetable you are working with will have enough acid. Sometimes you need to add additional acid.

Whether you need to add additional acid is dependent on what fruit or vegetable you are using.

Kraft has a great link explaining the science of Certo

http://www.kraftcanada.com/controlle...65157&ctx=4000
Old 03-19-2005, 01:01 AM   #16
Master Chef

Okay IC - I'll try again. Sometimes the lemon juice is used to raise the pH in canned foods. Sometimes it's used to aid jelling when using a pectin substitute like Certo. Sometimes it's used as an anti-browning agent (to retard enzymatic browning of fruits).

As someone noted - most fruits are acidic to one degree or another. And, even sugar is acidic.

Freezer jams don't need to be as acidic as canned jams.

So - what are you trying to make? If we know that I bet the gang on here can help find a solution for you.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:12 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi everyone,

You responses are great, and very helpful-I totally appreciate it!

My question was “in general” I’m not trying make anything at the moment, but when fruit season rolls around I may whip up some pear jam and some blueberry jam.

Thanks Michael, I understood what you meant the first time around, but your second post made it even clearer. As did the link for Kraft (thanks crewsk).

Yes (cue eye rolling and unavoidable smile) I am well aware that all fruits are acidic to some degree, the majority of foods have some level of acid in them. I just aim to keep my diet as low in acid as possible (luckily there are few foods that have higher cid contents, which don’t seem to bother me).

You guys are really all so helpful, thanks a million for all the responses and tips!

Happy Cooking to all!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote