"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #121
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Yes, I have heard shocking things about artificial sweeteners, never use them and never will
I'm critical of artificial sweeteners from a behavioral point of view too. They're training your body and your cravings to do the wrong thing. It's better to condition yourself to enjoy healthy foods than to eat a bunch of chemical substitutes.

Oops, somebody got me started. I know people who drink a dozen soft drinks per day, or more.

/rant

Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

I actually dont drink soft drink, unless I have it as a mixer with a spirit.

I prefer to drink water

Way too much sugar in soft drinks

Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The stuff in Oz might not be as scary

I really appreciate the fact that I can use one teaspoon, or a few drops without opening an entire lemon or lime. It's also cheaper than making my own organic lemon or lime juice and the lemons and limes in the bottled juice were ripe when they were juiced. When you live as far north as Montreal, citrus is shipped before it is ripe, so it won't be over ripe when it arrives. The only drawback is that I have to remember to buy an organic lemon or lime if I want some of the zest. Here in NA, they dye citrus fruits with carcinogenic dyes that aren't allowed in foods.
I freeze the rest of the juice in ice cube trays. I detest bottled lime or lemon juice.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #124
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Jars of Hollandaise? I can only wonder what abomination of chemicals they added to stabilize it. (Read that Ratio cooking theory book.)
there ye go greg just xantham & guar gums to thicken/stabilise.both natural ingredients & i believe the latest "wonder ingredient" for our molecular gastronomy gastronauts.the fact that both have been about for decades seems to have eluded them.i use the maille hollandaise & their mustards....could do without the potassium sorbate but,you don't eat hollandaise every day & it's pretty well down the list of ingredients so relatively small amount.
bolas & i overwinter our potato & other root crops in brown paper sacks & the supermarkets here supply b/paper bags for spuds too....you shoulda patented the idea bud!!
Maille: mustards, vinegars, recipes... The all Maille !
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
bolas & i overwinter our potato & other root crops in brown paper sacks & the supermarkets here supply b/paper bags for spuds too....you shoulda patented the idea bud!!
Maille: mustards, vinegars, recipes... The all Maille !
A few years ago, the Ontario government decided brown paper bags were detrimental to one's health. The only store that still gives out brown paper bags is the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). I stock up on brown paper bags when I visit my folks in MN. We store our carrots and beets buried in sawdust (one of the side benefits of having a sawmill). I also use it for the endive we pull up in the fall and force during the winter.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #126
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A few years ago, the Ontario government decided brown paper bags were detrimental to one's health. The only store that still gives out brown paper bags is the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). I stock up on brown paper bags when I visit my folks in MN. We store our carrots and beets buried in sawdust (one of the side benefits of having a sawmill). I also use it for the endive we pull up in the fall and force during the winter.
a sawmill? oh fantastic cw! bet your bbq & smoking tastes pretty good too.there's an ancient technique of root storage in sand called clamping over here which i'm sure you guy's do too,so sawdust sounds like an ideal variation on that theme for you plus you know the provenance & quality of both the root & the storage material.
the only sawdust we produce is when we chainsaw & split logs for the winter fireplace/smoker @ bolas's....sadly not enough for clamping so it's back to the paper sacks.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I freeze the rest of the juice in ice cube trays. I detest bottled lime or lemon juice.
Have you ever tried the organic stuff? It tastes fine, not like Realemon. As I mentioned, I hate the regular bottled stuff too.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm critical of artificial sweeteners from a behavioral point of view too. They're training your body and your cravings to do the wrong thing. It's better to condition yourself to enjoy healthy foods than to eat a bunch of chemical substitutes.

Oops, somebody got me started. I know people who drink a dozen soft drinks per day, or more.

/rant
Absolutely.

Do you know that they have done tests of people trying to lose weight who used artificial sweeteners vs people not using them? People who used the artificial sweeteners don't lose weight as fast.

You confuse your body's feedback system.

Sweet - gotta up the insulin. Oops, there wasn't any sugar.
Sweet - won't up the insulin, it might be that fake stuff.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
a sawmill? oh fantastic cw!
It is nice to have. The DH designed it and built it (it is a bandsaw -- runs off of electricity. It can handle 12 ft logs up to 30" in diameter). He has a machine shop (besides all those initials after his name). The birch floor that I finished earlier this summer was one of the sawmill projects. As were the oak cabinets in the bathroom...the maple floor in one of the spare bedrooms...the trim, doors, and lots of other things. And yes, when I want a cedar plank, I grab a piece of slab wood and soak it...need chips? Got those too.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #130
Executive Chef

Quote:
It is nice to have. The DH designed it and built it (it is a bandsaw -- runs off of electricity. It can handle 12 ft logs up to 30" in diameter). He has a machine shop (besides all those initials after his name). The birch floor that I finished earlier this summer was one of the sawmill projects. As were the oak cabinets in the bathroom...the maple floor in one of the spare bedrooms...the trim, doors, and lots of other things. And yes, when I want a cedar plank, I grab a piece of slab wood and soak it...need chips? Got those too.
all that & chickens too....paradise