"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #21
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
If the recipe does not call for milk, use the microwave, but do so gently. TURN THE POWER LEVEL DOWN to below 50%. Nuke it for 20 seconds, then stir. Repeat until smooth. As it gets close to being melted, shorten to 10 or 15 seconds at a time.

Skip the double boiler entirely.
Exactly.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Thanks folks :)

I'll give these methods a try. Guess I was just baffled that after managing before without any troubles I still seem to be overheating it even on the lowest settings. But I guess it can't be any other reason.

Thanks for all your help :D

Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
Master Chef

The chocolate is getting too hot for too long

it shouldn't take 5 min to melt it

But it will if your cream isn't very hot before you put the chocolate in it

Like others have said, heat your cream to quite hot but not simmering. Take it off the heat. Add your chocolate and stir gently to melt and combine it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Microwave.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I'm baffled as to where the idea that the bowl should not be in the water came from, I guess someone miss heard rather like Chinese whispers. The bowl should not touch the bottom of the pan but should be in the water. If you're heating the bowl with steam your pan is far too hot, your chocolate will burn and steam will condense in your bowl.

I'm no expert but I melt chocolate regularly as I love chocolate eclairs filled with whipped cream and am partial to fresh doughnuts with chocolate topping.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

That's interesting.
I used to let it touch the water and never had a problem (mostly darker chocolate though). But everything I've read including the instruction on the bar of chocolate itself said don't let it touch the water.

Maybe it's a myth?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

You can always Google 'how a bain marie works'.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Hmm,
There's a lot of info online that backs up your theory. It certainly makes sense.

I'm going to have another go later. I'll warm up the cream so it's not cold. Let the bottom of the bowl touch the water and slowly heat it up, as soon as it starts to melt I'm taking it off the heat.

Fingers crossed :p
Old 03-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Attempt no.5 .. FAIL!

Im getting so sick of this! I've melted chocolate loads of time and never ever had this much trouble before. I've never had to be this careful. What am I doing that's so different?!

This time I let the cream warm up to about room temperature. I could have heated it right up and used that to melt it but I was nervous about it overheating and wasn't sure whether I was supposed to stick with half of the cream or do it all and then whether I'd have to put it on the hob and heat it up too.

I boiled the kettle and poured some of that into the saucepan (mothers idea). Let it cool down for a few mins, no simmer, no bubbles nothing. Placed the bowl in so that it was just touching the water. As soon as it started to melt I took the bowl out. Even out of the water it melted fairly quickly this time (I guess the cream was slowing it down). The melting slowed and it started to thicken, so I put the bowl back on top of the saucepan for about 30 seconds .. Took it off .. Stirred a little more .. Then boom .. It separated :(

This is driving me insane now. I don't know how I was able to do it so carelessly before but now I need to be in a laboratory to get it to work. I'm starting to feel like my next step is to buy a laser thermometer and use that to monitor the temps.

This is the most depressed I've felt in ages :( Most expensive tart I've ever made too .. Considering I had to remake the base today too.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Numerous people here, with loads of experience, have suggested that you either use the microwave, or pour hot cream over the chopped chocolate. But you continue to try to do some variation of a double boiler. It's not surprising that you keep getting the same results.

Again, white chocolate is not the same as chocolate, and you must treat it gently. Either try one of our suggestions, or live with your results from the double boiler variations.

Why ask us if you are not interested in our advice?

Tags
chocolate