"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post

Amazon only had meat glue in kg bags. But following some links, I found some in 50g bags for $13 at Transglutaminase (Meat Glue) .

Some of the more rational things that occur to me are bonding the bacon wrapping onto scallops or filets so that they stay put during cooking and cutting. I could also imagine creating meat tubes to be stuffed that would stay connected as tubes during cooking or binding a protein filler to the tube to treat it as one piece. Some of the less rational and more Robot Chicken like thoughts would be like making everyone happy by gluing chicken drumsticks onto the sides of a beef roast.
That's where I bought mine. And the ideas you list are all good ones, ones I'm planning on trying (well, except the Robot Chicken!). I've heard of RM being used to "glue" chicken skin onto salmon. I want to laminate some chicken and pork to make a "Chorkwhich".

I'll try to get a picture of the result. It stuck pretty good in some places, not as well in other. In retrospect I think I made 2 errors. First, I went a bit too light on the stuff; it's supposed to be sprinkled on at around 1% weight of the product. Looking at some videos I see now I was a bit too timid! Second I think it would be more consistent a roll if I'd cut all into lengthwise strips and bundled it.

Still, not bad for a first attempt. I'll try to snap some pics later this evening.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Rob I'd like to see an analysis of whether what you got was worth the trouble. People have been rolling flank steaks and tying with string for eons (well, centuries at least) with good results. Why would glue be better than string?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Head Chef

Well, flank was simply on sale, so that's what I used. The difference between tying and using the enzyme is that the former merely holds it while you roast it- the latter makes it essentially one piece, allowing you to use it any way you like. For example, slicing it into thin medallions before cooking.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Slicing into medallions before cooking is a novel concept. I'll be interested in reading your experience when you report back.

Just don't do it when there's thunderstorm-y weather! If one of them things comes alive...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Just don't do it when there's thunderstorm-y weather! If one of them things comes alive...

Now we're cookin'!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #26
Head Chef

Okay, here's a picture of the roll, cut in half. I plan to sous vide one half @ 130 F. You can see that I didn't quite get it rolled completely tight- probably would have worked better to make strips first. Oh well, next time.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Okay, here's a picture of the roll, cut in half. I plan to sous vide one half @ 130 F. You can see that I didn't quite get it rolled completely tight- probably would have worked better to make strips first. Oh well, next time.
Thank you for the picture! It looks just fine.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT

kudos for the effort, but for me, personally, I don't think I could get into it.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post

kudos for the effort, but for me, personally, I don't think I could get into it.
Awww, what a groaner! That fluff piece is one of the oldest propaganda hatchet jobs still slogging thru the interwebz Zombie Style! It's almost entirely fiction and the few true parts are completely irrelevant to the home cook.

I'm not trying to perpetrate fraud on people expecting a "whole muscle"- I'm making dinner at home! Please keep the police out of my dining room!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post

Rob, if you cut a filet off that roll and cook it to medium rare perfection, it's still going to be flank steak, right? No one is going to 'mis-steak' it for a filet mignon.

Tags
recipe