"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Me too. I am just resigned to the fact that I can only make "rustic" looking pies. I sometime brush the top with egg white wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. That helps with the appearance. I found a great recipe for a Candied Pecan topping that is awesome and hides imperfections well.
Do you guys start rolling after you shape your dough into a disc? And roll only from the inside out? That works for me. (got an apple pie in the oven right now as a matter of fact.)

Old 08-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #32
Cook

The words...

I hope your chooks turn into emus

In the bar there were two blokes arguin',
And I reckoned any minute now their fists would start to swing.
The tall one wagged his finger and said a vulgar word,
And shorty he had hit it and this masterpiece I heard.

And peck your dunny down.
Peck your dunny down.
Really go to town.
I hope your chooks turn into emus.
Yes, I do, I really do.
And when they've pecked your dunny down,
I hope they peck on you.

The bartender came over and said, 'Hey, shorty, what's all this fuss about?
You're getting to obstropolis, I'll have to put yous out.'
The tall bloke's eyes were brimmin'
And his face was fiery red.
'He reckons he's me cobber! Did you hear what he just said ? '

Peck your dunny down.
Really go to town.
Yes, I do, I really do.
I hope they peck on you.

I finished off me schooner and walked right out the door.
I'd watched a strong man cry and couldn't stand it anymore.
But still the memory lingers through the hubub and the beers.
Those famous words of shorty's that re-echoed in my ears.

Peck your dunny down.
Really go to town.
Yes, I do, I really do.
I hope they peck on,
Hope they peck on,
Hope they peck on you.

Yes...It's a real song!

KissTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Do you guys start rolling after you shape your dough into a disc? And roll only from the inside out? That works for me. (got an apple pie in the oven right now as a matter of fact.)

Yep, I just lack the skill I guess.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Tortillas for those that have trouble.

After using about 3# of flour, I have got Tortillas nailed. At least I think so. Try this.

I think you will like it.

AC

KissTC - From the short time that I have been here, it seems that most here want to help. I think the original question WAS what do you have trouble making. Being the food people that DC'ers are they / we / I try to help. I kind of like it.

AC
Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
Rice - I just never manage to get it right especially brown rice
Reducing Pan sauce with wine - usually a disaster sometimes edible never really good
Custard - Always have a hard time gettinig it to set right

Do you wash your rice before you cook it? Dumping off a lot of that starch that coats the outside helps a lot.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #36
Head Chef

Dina - I am with you on the pie crust. I finally gave up and use a tart pan. You can patch the pie pastry together if you need to and nobody is the wiser. And tarts are prettier anyway.

JP - I can't seem to get the biscuits right, either. They turn out like hockey pucks. And my sweet husband never fails to tell me how good his mother's biscuits were. When he told me (while eating my flat pancakes) that his mother's were a half inch thick, he never got another pancake from me.

Like alot of you, I struggle with rice. Part of the problem is getting my gas range low enough without the flame going out...I always have ceiling fans going, so if I remember to turn them off while I cook the rice, it turns out better. But then, I am sweating.....
Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissTC View Post
Yeah...right...if you say so...!

A baby chicken...by the way... is a spatchcock.!!

I don't know what one would call a 5 to 6 pound (2.5 kilo) chicken...Maybe one would call it an emu, big turkey, or ostrich.

Black Chef, if you can find a free range 2.5 kilo chicken then go for the above!!!...Cos I aint never seen nor heard of such a bird...!!!

Oh... and PS...Herbalife has enough customers...So if you do happen to find such a bird, go with a more realistic 200 grams (about 1/2 pound) per serve which would give 12 to 15 serves based on above...Not the 4 to 6 as stated!

Or, of course, you could just go with spatchcock, which is baby chicken.

To the best of my knowledge spatchcock chicken is NOT a baby chicken but the method in which it is cut i.e., backbone removed and layed out flat - you can certainly use a young chicken but that term denotes the way it is cut, not the age...at least around here. Just like our green onions are your shallots - it may just be a regional difference. A 5 - 6 lb. chicken is certainly not abnormal. And June's recipe is spot on!!!!

Alix, my friend, again, you are not going to believe this but it is TRUE - I make fabulous cream puffs!!!!! I just taught a co-worker to make the choux pastry to stuff with chicken salad. I'll talk you through that if you talk me through.........well............everything else about baking! LOL And my specialty IS fussy little appys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could definitely fill in the gaps for each other!

My 3 things are:

1. Baking - ANYTHING! x 3

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Yep Alix. I've tried your crust recipe many times, shape into a disk, roll from the inside out, then it starts to crack on the edges...argh! You just come over and work your expertise in my kitchen dear.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:51 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
To the best of my knowledge spatchcock chicken is NOT a baby chicken but the method in which it is cut i.e., backbone removed and layed out flat - you can certainly use a young chicken but that term denotes the way it is cut, not the age...at least around here. Just like our green onions are your shallots - it may just be a regional difference. A 5 - 6 lb. chicken is certainly not abnormal. And June's recipe is spot on!!!!

Alix, my friend, again, you are not going to believe this but it is TRUE - I make fabulous cream puffs!!!!! I just taught a co-worker to make the choux pastry to stuff with chicken salad. I'll talk you through that if you talk me through.........well............everything else about baking! LOL And my specialty IS fussy little appys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could definitely fill in the gaps for each other!

My 3 things are:

1. Baking - ANYTHING! x 3
well I'll be barked at...I make a mean cream puff too the rest of it is take your chances..I'm lousy at beef stew, soups, except my french onion and clam chowder...baking heck I'm the worlds best at hockey pucks kadesma
Old 08-31-2008, 02:55 AM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon

1. I have the same trouble with pie crusts.

2. I am too impatient and tend to turn meat and other foods too soon.

3. Not a specific food, but I sometimes (ok, a lot of times!) have trouble coordinating my foods so that everything is ready to serve at the same time. I have gotten a lot better, but it is still a problem sometimes.

Barbara