"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #51
Head Chef

For me it's meatloaf (hit or miss), pizza dough and most baked desserts..

Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I never could either and same went for chicken fried steak. I got to watch some girls from Oklahoma make chicken fried steak they used electric skillets. I went and bought a big one and have had no trouble frying chicken, chicken fried steak etc. I believe my problem was I couldn't get the oil at the right temp on the stove the electric fryer will do it for you it for you. All the years I worked in restaurants you had the deep fryer for these things. I have no interest in using a themometer to check oil temp on stove way to much trouble.
i never thought about that, thanks jp!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I use my electric skillet for frying chicken also. It comes out great! Next time though I am going to use a buttermilk fried chicken recipe I found where the chicken is soaked in buttermilk first. Can't wait!!!!! It just has to get cooler first!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #54
Assistant Cook

biscuits were a challenge for me until I tried bisquick and enought sour cream to make a dough. kneed for a minute or two , cut , and bake at 350 until golden. they come out light and fluffy and high every time. i have tried every recipe i could find and these are perfect.
my pork chops are always dry
and i can't make a fine crumbed cake.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Chicken fried steak, fried chicken, and meatloaf. For the most part, I think it's because I just haven't found the right recipes yet. I've made fried chicken in a cast iron skillet, a deep fryer, an electric skillet and a regular All-Clad frying pan. I've tried 10 to 15 different recipes, and I've fried the chicken in everything from peanut oil to lard, to shortening and bacon drippings and it just doesn't taste right. Yet. I'll find the right recipes for these 3 eventually.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #56
Everymom

The cream puff thing...

No one can understand it. I've had supervision from my mom (who makes the worlds most spectacular cream puffs) and followed her instructions to the T and still...hockey pucks. Even tried them in HER oven...no go. I can make pastry all day everyday, but those blasted cream puffs defeat me.

Kitchenelf, I suspect if we lived closer together all around us would weigh a LOT more. We'd be splitting the work and making 7 course meals every night with wine matched to each course. You take the appys and half the entrees and I'll do the other half of the entrees and desserts and away we go!

As for the rest of you with the pie crust issues, (Dina, specially you since you use my recipe) When the dough starts to crack as you roll it out, just gently stick the crack back together overlapping the edges a bit and keep rolling. Roll out the bottom crust larger than you need for your pie plate and after you pinch the top and bottom together cut off all the excess dough. My edges always look crappy til I trim it all nice. I use slightly over half the dough for the bottom crust and the rest for the top. I always end up having quite a bit of "leftover" after the trimming. Maybe that is the secret? Not thinking you need to use all the dough for the pie?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The cream puff thing...

No one can understand it. I've had supervision from my mom (who makes the worlds most spectacular cream puffs) and followed her instructions to the T and still...hockey pucks. Even tried them in HER oven...no go. I can make pastry all day everyday, but those blasted cream puffs defeat me.

Kitchenelf, I suspect if we lived closer together all around us would weigh a LOT more. We'd be splitting the work and making 7 course meals every night with wine matched to each course. You take the appys and half the entrees and I'll do the other half of the entrees and desserts and away we go!

As for the rest of you with the pie crust issues, (Dina, specially you since you use my recipe) When the dough starts to crack as you roll it out, just gently stick the crack back together overlapping the edges a bit and keep rolling. Roll out the bottom crust larger than you need for your pie plate and after you pinch the top and bottom together cut off all the excess dough. My edges always look crappy til I trim it all nice. I use slightly over half the dough for the bottom crust and the rest for the top. I always end up having quite a bit of "leftover" after the trimming. Maybe that is the secret? Not thinking you need to use all the dough for the pie?

The dough scraps are great rolled out, cut in any shape you desire and brushed with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Bake for about ten minutes. Yum!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

chiffon cake-pound cake-mashed potatoes babe
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
chiffon cake-pound cake-mashed potatoes babe
goodness, chiffon scares me! too delicate. i'm fine with pound cake, i usedto bake that when i was 10 or so. now i can't bake.

fer great mashed taters, babe, if you own a kitchenaid, thow your cooked, cubed taters in there with milk & lotsa butter. garlic, too, if you like garlic.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I have trouble making anything without making me a drink first!!!

Ok not trouble but it's more fun!