"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
After ruining a pan full of scallops, I just add the garlic after my dish is started or I add them with onions. I think it's just as good. I particularly like dried garlic flakes. They have a huge aroma and the 1/2" flakes look good in a stew or soup, and give you a delicious burst.

I have enough trouble getting brown rice cooked, that I've never tried basmati. I did find that brown rice works best if you soak it for at least an hour.

Whenever I roast a chicken, I usually butter it and bake. It always comes out with a beautiful crisp crust. I've never heard of searing it first. LOL

Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #82
Master Chef
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
only Bratwurst.
I bet they are sliced long way. Some manufacturers do that. There is a tiny cut, you can't even see it. But when you sart cooking they will split and open up.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #83
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Adillo303
2 - Fried Eggs - Love 'em usually end up hard fried, break when turning or runny.

Try low heat and setting a pot lid over them. Check often, they will still cook faster than it takes a toaster to make your toast.

--Also, before setting the pot lid over them, add to the pan 1 teaspoon of water.
The steam produced will cook the white on the top, and the yolk will still be runny.
you dont have to turn them.
2belucile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #84
Master Chef
oh i hate rice pilaf- cooked it daily fer months at school, ghettoracing, ugh.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #85
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I can't think of 3, but I definately can 2!!

1. Fish
2. Steak
~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
LeeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:51 AM   #86
Assistant Cook
3 Foods I have trouble cooking

1. Mexican rice. I like the dry, fluffy, pink/orange kind. Not the reddish wet mass of tasteless glue I end up with. I can cook any other type of rice to perfection - every time. I have no idea why I cannot make good Mexican rice!

2. Homemade puff pastry...I am a patient person but a lot of work is involved and sometimes it won't 'puff' and be all crispy. I purchase it frozen, instead.

3. Strudel dough. I purchase frozen filo dough and use that instead. I just cannot seem to get the homemade dough thin enough, even if I roll it until I can nearly see through it!
Leeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #87
Executive Chef
Mashed potatoes are easy. I have to make them almost daily at work. I take Yukon Golds, and steam them for 30 minutes. Into a mixer bowl with half a pound of butter and some hot milk, season TT w/ S&P. Start by placing the bowl on the mixer, and attaching the whisk attachment. As the potatoes mash, pour in some heavy cream until desired consistency is reached. I make mine rather runny, as they've got to hold for several hours.

Urmaniac, you'd hate to be here after I catch some catfish.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #88
Executive Chef
There are so many to choose from but the top 3 are fish, pork and gravy. I have never made an edible piece of fish, my pork loin is always dry and my gravy is just plain gross.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #89
Assistant Cook
baked chicken, fried fish (that doesn't break up), and peach cobbler
valscookbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #90
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Pie crust! I can't make it round without it breaking and giving me horrible edges. Although my pies taste good, they look ugly all the time.

For the breaks in the crust, cover any holes with extra pie crust dough cut out in shapes. For example, when I make apple pie I always cover any holes with a maple leaf cut out which I have brushed with a little egg wash to attach on then on the top to brown. As for the edges, have you tried the fork method? Until I learned how to crimp the edges by hand, I always used forks, and remember to cover the edges with foil until the last couple of minutes of baking to keep them from over cooking.

snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote