"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
so maybe it's just me who actually enjoys flight food...
Haha ya i can tell you i haven't been that impressed with any airline i've been on :).

Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Airlines I've been on lately don't feed you...but I guess the Int'l flights they still do...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Airlines I've been on lately don't feed you...but I guess the Int'l flights they still do...
On international flights they sell you food.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Hot chicken samdwichs are always good. D-boned chicken in a low crock pot with a little cream soup, curry & garlic. Have some nice bakery buns to put it on & a nice fresh baby spinach salad chilling with a raspberry vinaigerette.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Cook

You could start a tomato based sauce, precook Italian sausage and peppers, onions then keep the sauce on(or in the crock pot) and add the sasuage when you get home and make some sandwiches!

Sometimes I make a chicken in the crockpot. Its chicken, onions, can of tomatoes with diced chilis, a can of adobe peppers and a bit of V8(I use the spicy kind but I love spicy foods). You dont have to do a whole can of the peppers. I serve that in spinach tortillas with cheese. Sometimes with rice.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
she wont' be very hungry after a flight (the flight crew will feed her well if it's such a long flight).
It's been awhile since you've flown, hasn't it?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #17
Head Chef

How about ropa vieja or the cuban chicken casserole dish with the cuban/latin trinity mix (can't remember what it's called for the life of me right now) and the topping is a cornmeal/fresh corn/cheese mix kind of like arapas? Both can be made ahead and re-warmed or even served at room temp. I'll get out the book, Memories of a Cuban Kitchen, and pull the recipes.

Warning though, both take a long time to make and the chicken casserole has several parts but once you get them put together it's hands-free cooking time. We love them both, I especially love the chicken casserole even though it's time consuming to make. Hmmm, think I know one meal that's going to be on the menu next week.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
How about ropa vieja or the cuban chicken casserole dish with the cuban/latin trinity mix (can't remember what it's called for the life of me right now) and the topping is a cornmeal/fresh corn/cheese mix kind of like arapas? Both can be made ahead and re-warmed or even served at room temp. I'll get out the book, Memories of a Cuban Kitchen, and pull the recipes.

Warning though, both take a long time to make and the chicken casserole has several parts but once you get them put together it's hands-free cooking time. We love them both, I especially love the chicken casserole even though it's time consuming to make. Hmmm, think I know one meal that's going to be on the menu next week.
Dang...yes both of those sound like something she would love. Please send the recipes along :). Even if i don't make them for her tonight definitely will make them soon.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Do you think she'd enjoy a vegetable stew you could either make in a crock pot or make on the stove and keep warm in the crock pot?

PEPERONATA DI PATATE

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, chopped fine
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 8 bell peppers (red, yellow, green, orange or any combination), seeded and sliced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in purée
  • 1 pound russet potatoes, scrubbed well and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions:

In a large Dutch oven saute the onion in about 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium-high heat, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute. Add the peppers, lower the heat to medium-low and stir well. Partially cover with a lid and let them soften up, about 10 minutes.

When the peppers have softened, add the tomatoes and the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir well over medium-low heat, and simmer for about 1 hour.

Use the vegetable stock to help the sauce come together by adding small amounts to the peperonata as it cooks down. You might not need to use all the broth. Look for a nice balance between sauce and vegetables. Remember you are making a vegetable stew. Consistency of the final dish should be thicker than spaghetti sauce.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974 View Post
Dang...yes both of those sound like something she would love. Please send the recipes along :). Even if i don't make them for her tonight definitely will make them soon.
Recipe for chicken and corn pie posted here. Cuban chicken and corn pie

Craig already posted the recipe for Ropa Vieja posted here.
Old Clothes !