Need to take a dish to a family...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassieKate

Assistant Cook
One of my daughter's classmate's g'father passed away. My children will eat anything, although I know some children are pretty picky. I was looking for something pretty easy, possibly in a crockpot and can't include ground beef since the little girl won't eat that. Any ideas or what would YOU bring?

In our family, Noodle Pudding is a fairly standard dish to take to a condolence call. It's kind of a cross between savory and sweet, and is usually served as a side dish for roasted meat. However when we were kids, we often ate it as a main dish.

I can post a recipe for mine this evening, if you like.

One of my daughter's classmate's g'father passed away. My children will eat anything, although I know some children are pretty picky. I was looking for something pretty easy, possibly in a crockpot and can't include ground beef since the little girl won't eat that. Any ideas or what would YOU bring?
Fresh snapped green beans, ham and potatoes, Beef stew, Vegetable soup, (pick your meat) and noodles.

Good solid comfort foods are nice for occasions like this.

Scalloped ham and potatoes
or
some good beef soup. Both can be warmed up easily and both taste great.

Whatever you choose to bring, make sure you deliver it in a disposable container. The family will have enough to deal with after things settle down. Trying to remember or keep track of which dish/casserole/container belongs to whom can be challenging.

Also, chances are they may be flooded with food. I know that's a common situation here. That's why I usually give something that can be put into the freezer and eaten at a later date.

One thing folks fail to bring are things to drink. You might consider bringing coffee, tea, sodas, milk, or other beverages.

Kids (and everyone else) love mashed potatoes and gravy. Katie's suggestion is a good one - drinks are usually overlooked. I don't know the age of your daughter's classmate but if they are younger, juice boxes would probably be very welcome, too. And disposable plates, cups, etc.

We make a dish called sausage & baked bean casserole which my kids adore & it is good enough for adults as well. I will post the recipe if you would like it.

Sorry, I don't know how I got into this format but cannot get out.

This dish is good for both kids and adults. Have posted this before but will do it again because it is comfort food and that is what I believe you want. And if you use pre-shredded cheese, it can be ready for the oven in about ten minutes.

Have made too many dishes for funereal gatherings and agree with Katie's suggestion about disposible everything. The family does not want or shold not need to keep track of that sorta stuff.

Oh yeah, and will emphasize the drinks. People bring all kind of great food but suddenly the family realizes there are not enough drinks and the last thing one wants is to put them in any added stress. We size up the stuff available and make a run for soda, beer, milk, juice, whatever is needed.

Oh yes, and clean up. A few minutes by a few hard working committed folks can really make the day a lot easier.

This is just a chili dog casserole but it will not last long.

- 1 pkg. hot dog buns
- 1 large onion, finely diced and sauteed (or not, I prefer it raw - your choice)
- 2 (1 lb.) pkgs. hot dogs, cut into ½ inch slices (recommend Oscar Meyer, like the flavor in this, but any will do nicely)
- 5 (15 oz) cans chili with beans (Hormel works fine)
- ½ lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- ½ lb. yellow cheddar, shredded

Separate and lightly toast the buns.
Heat the hot dog slices and chili in a saucepan until bubbling.

Oil a 10 x 15 inch oiled pan or something about that size.

Place the toasted buns in the pan, cut side up, and top with ½ the onions.

Spoon the warmed chili mixture over the buns.
Sprinkle on first the remaining onions and then the shredded cheeses.

If desired, you can top the cheeses with hot sauce, salsa or taco sauce or even sliced black olives.

Bake until the cheese is melted and golden and the chili is bubbling (about 20 min.).

Let rest for 10-15 min.

We don't make this very often because it goes too fast and we don't need all that food. On a cold January weekend it is lucky to make it to Sunday noon. but with kids, and most adults, it is a real hit.

Drinks are a good idea, milk, cream for coffee. I remember when my mom dies and we were flooded with food, but we ran out of drinks, cream for coffee. Pastries are good to have to offer people who come to have with coffee. The small things that ya need and don't feel like going to the store for.

I made up some hoagies and wrapped them in plastic. I put each one in a gallon ziploc and added a baggie of crackers and a baggie of green grapes.
(The hoagies were deli ham or turkey, slice of swiss or provolone and lettuce.)

It was easy for people to take something home to eat. I forgot to put in any cookies and there was no problem with people putting some in.

The Church always provides a nice meal after funeral services served at the Church but today school was cancelled and the meal was served in the school cafeteria. The guest of honor was 17 years old.

I have helped out at several freinds at this sad time and I have found that there is never enough paper plates, napkins, Cups for drinks and hot drinks. There is always alot of food. I drop off those items as there is always alot of food and desserts. then in a week or two I make a meal and take it over to them when all the healing begins and it all kicks in that their loved one is gone and it picks them up.
I also will drop off a spare coffee pot as it seems you are always making coffee. I picked one up at the local drug store for 20.00 and that is my loaner. so if it happens not to get returned oh well it was only 20.00.
another thing to remenber during this time, if taking a dish put it in a dish you don't care about getting back, or go to your local dollar store and purchase and inexpensive dish,
Familys aren't thinking clearly in this time and don't remeber whos dish was whos and then the deed to get the items back to the givers thats just another thing to remind them of that sad day. I put a note on the item with a name and msg, No need to return dish.

First, my condolences. I would stick with all-in-one meals/dishes that can easily be reheated. To round it out & make it a meal, you could p/u a bagged salad and a loaf of French or Italian bread to go with. Also, try a search here under crockpot and casseroles. Some suggestions:

Ravioli lasagna or tortelinni Bake (w sausage & spinach)

Quiche (i.e. spinach & cheese, etc.)

Cheese Calzone

Homemade veggie Pizza

Veggie Lasagna

Eggplant Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken & Rice Bake

One Pan Chicken & Potatoes
RecipeDetail&

Beef Stew

Beef Bourgignon

Muffuletta
Muffuletta

Cold Pasta Salad

Antipasti (Pasta Salad)

Cheese/spinach Stuffed Shells

Cheese Manicotti

Stuffed Peppers - Sub w ground turkey

Tuna (or salmon) casserole (comfort food & easy to reheat)

Have a recipe for baked chicken breasts over Portobello mushrooms I want to try. Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom