New twist to the other thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
What ingredients do you like, but not together? I will start.

Tuna Noodle Casserole- I like them both but this makes me gag.
Garlic with Poultry- except of course if it is Mexican food.
Nutmeg on anything that is not a dessert.
Cheese on Spinach.
Cheese on French Dip Sandwich.-people seem to be putting cheese on everything these days.

Corn cooked in anything! I like it just fine in a little pile on my plate with butter, S&P. Mix it into anything...bleech!

Garlic in mashed potatoes!! ACK!!!!!!!

Were you reading my mind? I once went to a holiday Turkey dinner where there was GARLIC in the mashed potatoes!!!. And I put turkey gravy on them!!!. The WHOLE meal tasted like GARLIC! View attachment 8573
While I think GARLIC is a natural with beef, although I have never made them, I would not mind garlic mashed potatoes with a nice roast, as I cut slits in a beef roast and stuff with garlic slivers before roasting.:chef:

Last edited:
I prefer crackers with my soup rather than in it.

I have seen recipes for tuna noodle casserole that had cheese in it. I love cheese, and I love tuna noodle casserole, but I couldn't imagine cheese in it. :sick: The same with cheese on tuna sandwiches, or tuna in macaroni and cheese. Yuck.

:)Barbara

PrincessFiona- Totally agree with you. Corn should be left alone.

msmofet- I don't mind a little garlic powder in my mashed potatoes, but actual garlic cloves, YUCK!

Barbara L- We should have soup together someday. My husband will take a whole handful of crackers and crush them into his soup, it drives me crazy.
I eat one cracker at a time with a spoonful of soup.

My it taste good away from eat other, but not together is...

1) Peanut butter and jelly, it's a sticky slippery feeling to me.
2) Celery in egg salad, the combo of eating something soft and then hitting something crunchy grosses me out.
3) Ketchup on a hotdog, it's just not right.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

...Barbara L- We should have soup together someday. My husband will take a whole handful of crackers and crush them into his soup, it drives me crazy.
I eat one cracker at a time with a spoonful of soup...
Same here! My husband eats his just like your husband does, and I eat mine like you do.

:) Barbara

Typically for me, cheese and fish don't work together but I am sure there are some that might.

I am not big on bananas in my pancakes either.Don't hate it but would prefer without.

Ketchup on eggs!! Especially eggs with runny yolks. Seeing what looks like a bloody murder scene makes me wanna barf!!

Ketchup on hot dogs just isn't right in my book either.

HOT tuna. I do like tuna in mac and cheese once in awhile BUT the tuna goes in cold after the mac and cheese is finished cooking and being mixed together.

I like to dip crackers in soup or drop a crisp crack onto the spoon of soup just before it goes into my mouth. The cracker has to crunch!! Something about mushy cracker mouth feel is yucky!

Marshmallows. I like em roasted on a stick but not added to any dish. Cereal treats, Jello salads, that abomination with oranges and cool whip, sweet potatoes, peanut butter sandwiches, etc.

Same here! My husband eats his just like your husband does, and I eat mine like you do.

:) Barbara

I am a member of the crackerless soup club as well. Give me some buttered crackers or even with cheese on the side, but NEVER let even a crumb get into my soup! Dad and DH end up with something that more resembles oatmeal than soup when they get finished.

- I love rice and as mentioned I love my soup - but I don't care much for rice soups.
- Mushrooms and chicken are two foods I could survive on forever, and they can be served side by side - I just don't like them together, such as mushroom stuffed chicken or chicken in a mushroom sauce.
- Similarly, I love prawns/shrimp, scallops and fish as long as they are served on their own (with sides of course). I don't like seafood chowders, or in sauces, casseroles, etc. I can't do seafood and creamy anything!

Ketchup on hot dogs just isn't right in my book either.
This is what I came to post. I enjoy them both, but the thought of them together turns my stomach. To be fair though, I have never actually tasted the combo so I can not say that I would not actually like it if I tried it.

I have to agree on a lot of these.

If you're older than 10, you should not be allowed to put ketchup on a hot dog. Actually, I don't use ketchup much at all. Sometimes for fries and rings.

If someone puts in the effort make a soup for me, I don't need crackers to make it taste good.

I like Jell-O, I like salad. Cannot stand Jell-O salads.

I like sweets, I like savory but seldom like sweet stuff on my savory foods. e.g. meats with sweet fruit based sauces.

I have to agree on a lot of these.

If you're older than 10, you should not be allowed to put ketchup on a hot dog. Actually, I don't use ketchup much at all. Sometimes for fries and rings.

If someone puts in the effort make a soup for me, I don't need crackers to make it taste good.

I like Jell-O, I like salad. Cannot stand Jell-O salads.

I like sweets, I like savory but seldom like sweet stuff on my savory foods. e.g. meats with sweet fruit based sauces.

I don't put ketchup on ANYTHING. Just can't stand the stuff, but that could be because as I was growing up I was allergic to tomatoes and never acquired a taste for it.

So Andy, what if they put in no effort on the soup (ie from a can). Do you use crackers then? :LOL:

I forgot your last two - jello salads and sweet on meat are definite no's here too.

Last edited:
I don't put ketchup on ANYTHING. Just can't stand the stuff, but that could be because as I was growing up I was allergic to tomatoes and never acquired a taste for it.

So Andy, what if they put in no effort on the soup (ie from a can). Do you use crackers then? :LOL:

I forgot your last too - jello salads and sweet on meat or definite no's here too.

I love soups. I make them a lot in the winter and some in the summer too. I grew up eating homemade soups. I never had a canned soup until I was in my teens. I didn't like it then and don't like it now. If offered canned soup, I'd probably pass if I could do so politely and just eat the crackers.

BTW, aren't crackers just an easy substitution of good bread and butter?

I love soups. I make them a lot in the winter and some in the summer too. I grew up eating homemade soups. I never had a canned soup until I was in my teens. I didn't like it then and don't like it now. If offered canned soup, I'd probably pass if I could do so politely and just eat the crackers.

BTW, aren't crackers just an easy substitution of good bread and butter?

I agree on homemade versus canned...I just couldn't resist calling you on that one :angel::LOL:

I also agree on the bread and butter, as long as it is homemade bread. I have gotten hooked on DH's gluten-free multi-grain crackers lately.

Back
Top Bottom