"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Head Chef

i make a spinach pie calzone which my kids love. But sure enough, they complain about the onions. So the next time I made it, I didnt put the onions in, and they complained it didnt taste the same. So I made it again, this time mincing the onions. And sure enough, they complained again, saying they prefer the onions in bigger pieces so they are easier to pick out. Now I just make it the original way, and the hell with them :) I know this doesnt help you out much, but i just figured Id sahre the story.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Funny story and the right solution.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good one!

My younger sister was an onion detecting machine as a kid. Refused to eat anything with any discernable onion pieces. To this day, she can't boil water, make toast, or cook anything! Thankfully she's never married, and eats out for all her meals. Hope there's not a connection between allium refusal and cooking ability!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

just a quick word of thanks for all your ideas, good to know others have children with aversions to onions.
Aunt Bea, I wouldn't have asked my parents to pick out the onions but neither would i have asked them alot of things so i suppose for better or worse we live in different times with different parents and hence different children!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
How about onion powder?

I don't have children so I can't really comprehend this problem but, why can't they pick the offending items out of the food?

I can only imagine what would have happened if I asked one of my parents to do this!
I was going to say something like this, but wasn't sure how it would be received. My mother would never have allowed us to be so picky, and if we were we'd have just been hungry that meal. I'd raise my kids the same way.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Try finely grating the onions rather than chopping them. I find the children are more likely to eat vegetables such as carrots, zucchinis, onions, peppers if they are finely grated.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #17
Senior Cook

It must be difficult when your kids dislike certain foods that are quite unavoidable. Liquidising is a good idea though if it's the texture that is the problem. My grandmother has hated onions her whole lifetime and it's very difficult to cook meals without onions when they add so much flavour.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiabi View Post
It must be difficult when your kids dislike certain foods that are quite unavoidable...
It's even more difficult when an adult member of the family refuses to eat basic foods and ingredients.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
Head Chef

Depends on their age, but most kids, I think, are objecting to the name rather than the thing. It's the only way they know to react to the word "onion." They gradually get over it as they learn new names for it. "I hate onions, but I love Burger King Onion Rings dipped in ketchup."

I suggest adding veggies into desserts. Carrot cake, zucchini bread, etc. Try a sweetened, deeply caramelized and gelatinized onion chutney with a kid's favorite fruit for a baked tart. With whipped cream.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I can only imagine what would have happened if I asked one of my parents to do this!
Lol, I was probably one of THOSE kind of parents with my own daughter. Sorry, but I don't give in to children's complaints. My favorite line to use with her was "If you don't want to eat what I make, you know where to find the peanut butter and jelly."

She's of college age now and I'm happy to report that her finickiness is a thing of the past - except for one thing: she no longer likes peanut butter and jelly.

Tags
onions