"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In Massachusetts stores are supposed to display on the shelf the unit price, the price of the item and on the product the price also. The store where I shop, they are pretty good about sticking to the law. They even do it for the produce where possible. Most of the stores fail to stamp the item itself.
I haven't seen individually priced items in years, maybe decades, in Los Angeles. Maybe a few times camping out of state and shopping in one market towns...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I usually put my "squashable" items last on the belt, so I can supervise how they're packed, and even if not they end up on top. Bread, English muffins, other bakery items... Putting the bananas last on the belt is a good strategy.

Does anybody but me sequence their items on the belt with any strategy in mind?
I try. But the baggers seem to have their own agenda.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
I try. But the baggers seem to have their own agenda.
Then rag on the baggers. Rag on the market manager if the baggers don't comply. Think "squeaky wheel gets the oil."

I'll admit I never got my neighborhood Ralphs market to remember to put the asparagus with the bottoms down in water. I just love asparagus but so many times I see it on sale and it's all wilted because they didn't stand it in water. I complained to the produce manager many dozens of times but my complaints never changed their behavior.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #64
Head Chef

Quote:
In Massachusetts stores are supposed to display on the shelf the unit price, the price of the item and on the product the price also. The store where I shop, they are pretty good about sticking to the law. They even do it for the produce where possible. Most of the stores fail to stamp the item itself.

I have to admit that it is becoming more and more impossible to find fault with this store. My major complaint is when the cashier and bagger are chatting away in Spanish. Please give me, the customer, your undivided attention. And speak English please. You have not been employed for the purpose of socializing with your friends.

I haven't seen price stickers in the grocery store in many years in my area.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #65
Certified Pretend Chef

I too have a pretty good memory for numbers. Being in finance for almost 40 years will do that for you. Our market has bright and clear computer monitors where I can watch each item ring up. I catch errors watching the screen while SO harasses the bagger.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I haven't seen price stickers in the grocery store in many years in my area.
With individually stamped price stickers they can't change the prices on whim, demand, marketing or any other criteria. I recall a couple decades ago a cagy customer could feel in the back shelf and find lower stickered products and get the old items for less. I must be showing my age because I doubt anybody under 50 remembers those old years.

Then it switched to whatever the shelf said, but the markets were often sloppy in updating the prices on the shelves. Consumers complained big time! As I said earlier, the media stink reached such a high frenzy that the markets had to promise that if you spotted a shelf price and got charged more then you'd get the item for free! (Or at least the first item on multiple item purchases. Presumably that protected them from a customer spotting a price error and then buying the whole shelf for free.)

I'll be surprised if there's anywhere that has prices stamped on products now. I haven't seen a supermarket worker with their little price gun in years.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #67
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I too have a pretty good memory for numbers. Being in finance for almost 40 years will do that for you. Our market has bright and clear computer monitors where I can watch each item ring up. I catch errors watching the screen while SO harasses the bagger.
I am horribly bad at math, but I do remember numbers. I watch the cashiers, Shrek watches the baggers. The baggers at the store we frequent will also carry your bags out for you, they are more than happy to. I also get a 5 cent discount for every reusable bag I bring in.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

In Massachusetts, inspectors check the accuracy of the posted prices on a regular basis. We occasionally see news reports that one store or another has been fined for inaccuracies. They are allowed a very small percentage of errors, about 1% or 2%.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #69
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Just for the other side of it... I was at the store the other night, bought enough for 2 bags and just as she finished bagging things up and I was ready to cart them off she asked if I would like help getting them to my car. I was shocked. I said thank you and then declined.

One store I use meets you at the check out lane and places your items on the belt for you (unless you ask them not to). They come very close to my standards of how things should go on the belt, and into the bags. They also do have a dedicated bagger at each register (expect the express) and everyone is super nice. Yeah, it costs more.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #70
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I always let them take my groceries out, gives them something to do and I get a short chat with nice kids. And they refuse tips.

Tags
food