"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Everymom

Pantry Stocking

I have my own system of stocking our pantry and its really all in my head. The things we use most I tend to pick up extras so I don't run out and then I just keep a sticky list on the fridge for everyone to write on. If we are low on something I expect it to be written on the list (as I don't eat some things the rest of the family do) so that we can keep a decent stock.

In spite of what I consider a good system I STILL have moments when I run out of staple items. Today it was cocoa and butter. (Seriously...BUTTER! I buy butter nearly every trip to the grocery store simply because we eat so much popcorn for snacks in the evening and I bake a LOT.) The cocoa was actually the bigger issue as I only had about 2/3 of what I needed for my cake today. (I faked it so heres hoping it works out alright.) I was grumping along to myself about running out of cocoa "who didn't put it on the list" and that sort of thing when I realized it IS on the list...and in MY handwriting. Oops.

Sometimes I end up having 3 or 4 "extras" of things like lemon juice or parmesan cheese and then there are those moments when I run out of something completely out of the blue. Like flour. Come on now! I buy the stuff in the 20kg size! How do you run out of THAT??? But I somehow manage.

OK so that long rambling story was my preamble to asking how folks keep track of whats in their pantry and asking if someone has a really good method of keeping the pantry stocked with essentials. I'd love to hear it.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

I don't wear stockings.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
I don't wear stockings.
BOO!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Mr. Greenjeans

For you Alix, I'll start.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I tried the written notes and it never works, because my girls hit the pantry and freezer as they shoot by on their way home..Who has time to write on Ma's list, heck she doesn't do anything all day, so she should be there to write what we takeI do keep an unseen list in my purse only way I remember to get what I need. Yet I find myself wondering how did I forget the molasses when I had two packs of white beans in my basket at the store? So really most of the time I go up and down the isles and shop picking up things I see and know I'm out of. Of course my favorite thing is to look in the refrigerator, see a big container of juice and milk several cans of 7-up only to get hone and find them empty...My DH and kids don't believe in throwing tings away , we save them for a rainy day now anyone have any ideas on how to break this habit? refill the milk with something nasty?
kades
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

It's a problem for me as well. Do to a lack of space on the main floor fo the house, our pantry is on the basement level so I'm always running up and down for stuff I forgot. This also makes it harder to keep track of what we are out of or what's running low.

We have a small white board and a dry erase marker on the fridge. We write down stuff as we run out. There's the main list in the upper left corner of the borad and the specialty store list on the right.

We still run out of stuff. I'll be in the middle of doing something and make a mental note to write it down, then I forget it before I write it down.

Now I have started planning the week's menu before we go grocery shopping and I look over all the recipes (where needed) to make sure I have all the ingredients. I still forget something because I forgot to write it on the shopping list!

Enough. I don't want you to know I'm a complete idiot.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
...now anyone have any ideas on how to break this habit? refill the milk with something nasty?
kades

Just don't refill them at all. If they miss their milk, juice and soda a couple of times, they might get the message.

"Sorry Dear, i didn't realize the container you put back into the fridge was EMPTY!"
Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Everymom

Hmmm. Seems I'm not alone then in the pantry problems.

I agree with you kadesma, drives me bananas when I am out of something I thought I had scads of. Milk is especially tough. We go through 8-12 liters a week. Sometimes more. The fridge only hold so much at one time though.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

You cannot buy properly if you don't know what you have...Take an inventory (on your blank grocery list) Then make your list and go buy what you need....It works perfectly!!! --- Seriously, a hardware store can't buy bolts, nuts, screws etc. unless they know what's on the shelf...and what's in the storage area...In short...Take an inventory before going to the store.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
Everymom

Um. Thats probably the most logical suggestion ever Uncle Bob. I'm sitting here looking at the screen thinking "why didn't I ever think of that???" *forehead slap*

I think I need to be vigilant too though. I simply don't keep track of some things in our house because I don't use them. Cereal being the biggest example. We go through frightening amounts in our house and the only time I use it is in baking!

Seems most folks have a list of some kind on the fridge or otherwise centrally located too. I just need to make sure stuff gets recorded on there.