Parkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made my first attempt at Parkin yesterday. I probably should have started it sooner, since Bonfire Night is on Tuesday. But it's already starting to turn sticky.

I didn't use your recipe, Mad Cook, because I didn't see the post until now. But I found this version on the BBC Good Food web site.

img_1316587_0_67cc42bdafac03fdc44caa6cf5f7c3bd.jpg

RJ, pretty sure it was called Golden Syrup, but that was many moons ago. We kept it on the table, it was in a tin, as I recall. I'd eat it by the spoonful. Used it on cereal, pancakes, waffles.
You are right Dawg, it was likely Rogers Golden Syrup made by BC Sugar. DH says it came in a tin, it was always on the table when he was growing up. I could have sworn that we have had some here since we have been together (more than 30 years). I'm going to have a look next time I am near a grocery store in BC. Apparently it makes the best butter tarts. From what I was reading online it may have disappeared out east and that may be why Rocket thought maybe you were thinking of golden corn syrup, (DH also gets that in Canada) At any rate I am going to try to find the golden syrup and maybe treacle too and make the Parkin.

I have several tins of Lyle's Golden Syrup...trying to remember where I got it. But I snapped up the 4 tins they had at the time. I have a cookie cookbook that calls for Lyle's.

I have several tins of Lyle's Golden Syrup...trying to remember where I got it. But I snapped up the 4 tins they had at the time. I have a cookie cookbook that calls for Lyle's.
If you are stuck for something to do with it it's gorgeous on porridge. Somewhat defeats the point of eating porridge as part of one's slimming regime, though :yum:

If you are stuck for something to do with it it's gorgeous on porridge. Somewhat defeats the point of eating porridge as part of one's slimming regime, though :yum:

Nope, not stuck. Will be using some up this holiday season. I make lots of cookies and then take them to work. Love to bake, but I don't eat them.

I love Bommy Night !!! Can you share your treacle toffee recipe please ?
I'm very sorry, GQ. I've been out of action for several days and I completely forgot about the treacle toffee recipe.

1/2lb butter
1lb of sugar
teacup of water
1lb tin of treacle

Heat gently until sugar and butter dissolved then boil 2mins - keep stirring

Pour in 1 egg cup of vinegar (I use ordinary malt vinegar).

Boil until it reaches the soft ball stage (ie until a blob of the mixture dropped into cold water makes a soft ball)

Pour into a greased tin and allow to cool and set (I think I used a 7 or 8 inch square tin - haven't made it for 5 or 6 years.)

I was given this recipe by an old lady I met in the treacle aisle in the supermarket about 30 years ago. It's always worked for me.

Last edited:
Ah brilliant MC I will try it , I love treacle toffee . X

Steve your Parkin looks amaze balls , BBC Good Food recipes are excellent I use them a lot . I wish I could smell it !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom