"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I sometimes do a pasta dish ( whatever shapes you like ) with smoked Ham or smoked Salmon thinly sliced, garden peas, fresh herbs of choice or availability and run through with plenty black pepper and cream.
Another one is pasta with selection of roast mediterranean vegetables, coated in EVO and seasoned to taste. Include any or all of the following; sliced aubergine, onion, garlic, fennel bulb, courgettes, red or yellow peppers. Mix together just before serving. See, no tomatoes!!

Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I usually steep the garlic, which allows the anchovy to melt away into the sauce. You add as much or as little of each ingredient to your taste. This is one of those where the sauce is done when the pasta (dried not fresh) is ready. I would think that a teaspoon of paste is equal to one filet.
Thank you!

cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I still can't get over how great Anchovies are cooked in a sauce. I had only ever had anchovies on caesar salad.

There are all kinds of pasta sauces that don't require cheese. I am not sure hard cheeses/ parm are more calories or not. You can always just grate some on top and use as little as you want for flavor. Likewise, you can skip the cheese and garnish with any fresh herbs you like for a flavor booster -- starting as simple as parsley or chives, or stronger tasting herbs like basil, sage, cilantro or mid size herbs like tarragon or mint. Depends on the sauce and the other parts in your menu.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Ohh plenty of great suggestions here! :)

Ill work thru them and give a cpl a try.

I agree you can get cheese which is lower fat and has good qualities such as high protein but here in the uk i at least havent seen any hard cheese which is reduced fat.

Using soft cheese is out of the question imo for a tomato sause.

Yes when we say pasta here it usually means spaghetti bolognese or maybe its just me who assumes when someone says pasta it just means spag bol' :P
Cook4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Think ill try the fish/pasta suggestions first. i love me some muscles, muscles prawns pasta and hmm spinach maybe, aye got my mind working now :)
Cook4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #16
Master Chef
If you want to escape the tomatoes and the cheese then I would go with an Asian style soup made with noodles, broth and a few vegetables.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
Master Chef
Low fat cheese doesn't melt well.

I'd just use less of tasty cheese
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
Executive Chef
Lo Mein, or other Chinese/ Asian (stir fry) pasta dishes. I know it's probably cheating, but I use spaghetti noodles rather than egg noodles. Shrimp or chicken and veggies. No cheese.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
I like pasta (any shape except large to be stuffed or sheets) with simply salt, red pepper flakes, minced roasted garlic, fresh (lightly steamed if needed) vegetables (grape tomatoes, squash, spinach leaves, kale, etc...) and a bit of the cooking water form the pasta to wilt the leafy greens and, moisten the dish. No oil, no cheese, no sugar.

Personally I like to vary it by using different pastas - whole wheat, gluten free, vegetable pasta, buckwheat noodles, etc....
BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Head Chef
Marcella Hazen's pasta sauce is outrageously simple and tasty and requires no cheese. (Healthy fats in real butter aren't your enemy!)

2 cups tomatoes, with their juices (for example, a 28-ounce can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes)
5 tablespoons butter
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter and the onion halves in a saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt.

Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with a spoon. Add salt as needed.

Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta. This recipe makes enough sauce for a pound of pasta.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

cheese, pasta